I hate HomeDepot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, just got back from a 1.5 hour round trip drive to the closest Lowes to me. They had everything I needed and I was in and out in 15 minutes. Wow, I hate Home Depot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Favorite Home Depot story, heard on the radio:

A guy was purchasing a single item and chose to check out via a self-serve cashier machine. He couldn't get it to work properly. He tried to get help. Nada. Eventually, he lost control and began beating the machine with the item he was trying to purchase: a crowbar. He eventually left the crowbar and walked out.

I'm not sure if he was caught after he left the store. I'd like to think he wasn't. If I were a cop, I'd consider justice done and chase him REEEEAAAALL slow...

:)

When we were building our house, I was traveling for a living, and was only home every third weekend. While I was on the road, I sent SWMBO to the local ACE to get PVC for our water line from the well to the house, and had the excavator lined up to trench on the Sat. that I would be home.

Well, come to find out when SWMBO went to ACE, the department head told her "You don't want to use PVC, you want to use this rolled copper." Well, maybe the copper is better, but they've been using PVC for this for 40 years also.

Anyway, I get home and find out what she bought. So while the excavator is trenching, I drive in to town to get the fittings for the copper tubing. That's when I find out they don't carry the fittings!:mad: In fact the only place that does is the local plumbing shop, which are closed on the weekend.

I had to let the trench sit there for 3 weeks until my next go home weekend, because of this A$$ at ACE.

I still like shopping there for electrical/plumbing, but I run when I see that guy coming! They do even have an 'old guy' that knows what he's doing.

I went into home depot looking for a wall paper tray. I walked to the proper section, and asked the guy standing in the isle where they were.

He knew exactly what I was talking about but had a really stupefied look when he realized they didn't have them. I must have been shopping for them out of season.

Sometimes it feels like Wal-Mart has a better selection.

I know this is all annoying but you have to realize who works at these places. If you know a lot about electrical, landscaping, woodworking, plumbing,ect, you probably are working in a decent paying job working WITH the materials, not selling them. These are pretty much minimal or slightly over minimal wage jobs. Not a lot of knowledge coming from a minimal wage job.
On a side note, We don't have a HD, only LOWES and are getting a Mernards soon. I have never had any problems with lowes, but don't go in to let them plan a project either, thats not what they're for. If you need help with electrical, ask an elecrtician, plumbing? Ask a plumber. Not the 16 year old selling you the "third part down on the left, Isle 15. Thats all they know about the parts. Thats all they need to know.
Now about the OP, that is very ****ty how you've been treated and sounds like you have a special case where your town breed jackasses for HD employment specifically! Sorry.

I'm drunk with a purpose...making headspace in the keg to loose some overcarbonation...so take this for what it's worth.

Ask an old guy or a young guy, the only thing that will tell you if they are feeding you a line of bull is your own experiences. I'm one of those guys who isn't afraid to try things once. I've gained a lot of knowledge that way. ...I also read a lot of books research things before I do them in an attempt to not waste money on things I don't need or from buying a cheap product that won't last.

When in these super-hardware stores I usually answer the "can I help you?" question with another, "well, I don't know." This usually sparks some interest in what ever project I am working on. I explain what I intend the end result of my project to be first, then what I am going to use it for. I don't mention that I have done research or tell them what I know because that would sound cocky. I know they deal with people who "know what they are doing" all day long and the last thing they need is someone young enough to be their child or grandchild acting like they know more than they do.

I know that the large chain stores are only going to cary the items that sale the most and won't carry a lot of speciality items...the MBA's make sure of that. Sorry if you have your MBA...most that I have had experience with can only use power point and should have studied more finance than butt-kissing. Back to the hardware stuff...Expect that you are not going to find everything you need at one store, but also make you plan flexible and be appreciatitive (sp?) of the help you do get. If they are having a bad day, don't be a arse and make it worse.

I always get good help, even from guys that are pros. The difference is in your attitude before you go in. Ask them what they think because they can't always legally make a "reccomendation."

To the last two posts,

The problem here isn't people going into HD and expecting an expert to guide you through 'building' your project for you.

The problem is going in to HD, asking "Where is (this)?" and them saying "Well, what do you want it for?"

The problem is when you go to HD and ask the 'stock boy' where something is, and they act like they're the expert. Want to know what you're building, then tell you it won't work, or you need to do it their way, because they want to feel like they know something just because they work there.

Sorry, if this doesn't make sence, but I'm :drunk: and have had a killer flue/head cold for the last week.

I work at Lowe's part time while I'm going to college. Yeah, its not the best job in the world, but its a paycheck.

One thing to realize is that these stores have a lot of departments. I work in lumber/building materials; if anyone has questions on what kind of drywall to use in their garage or what SPF, SPIB, APA, Exposure rating, or R-rating means--I'm all over it. I worked construction for a while, I've done it, I know it. I know a decent amount about plumbing, electrical, millwork, etc too.

The thing is: sometimes I clock in and my manager says, "You're covering the paint department today." I don't know jack about paint. I just do what I can, I point people to where the product is located. I may not be able to answer every question they have, but I'm not going to feed them BS.

If I don't know, I don't know. If you need a 240V heater element, I could care less if you are cooking meth, using it as a torture device, or heating up your mash. I'm not liable for what you do with the product. I do know, however, what it is like to walk around for 30min looking for a simple part only to be treated like an idiot. If I don't know where it is, I'll find out. I know you want to get in and get out, so you can get started on whatever you are working on.

I'm not trying to advertise for Lowe's or rip on Home Depot, I much prefer the local mom & pop store... They just haven't been in business for a few years.

The problem is going in to HD, asking "Where is (this)?" and them saying "Well, what do you want it for?"
"I want it for the cross chamber in a Surgian bipolar shuttle-phelger. I prefer Surgian shuttle-phelgers over the Cranton shuttle-phelgers; which do you prefer? Or you could just tell me where you keep the supply hoses with a braided stainless steel sheath."

Rick

Jesse17 said:

They are showing interest in your project, that is a good thing :)

Two thing to remember in these situations, a little respect goes a long way and maturity doesn't always come with age. I've found these two things very helpful when dealing with people at the chain hardware stores that turn out to be jerks. Your reaction can turn what would have been a good conversation into diatribe directed at you.

The point I'm trying to make is, don't let them get to that point. Your initial reaction guides the rest of the conversation and could be the difference between you pissing someone off and making a friend.

WortMonger said:
That makes so much more sense than a phone number for marketing. They only want your number so they can sell it, but a postal code lets them know their shoppers location which is all they need. I am going to ask next time I am asked if I am not allowed to purchase things without a phone number and see what they say. I will ask if I need to make one up and if they have a phone book.

Being a former worker at Lowe's, I'll chime in on the phone number thing. At least at Lowe's, they don't sell the phone number. The reason they ask is so, if you later return a product without the receipt, the register prompts the cashier for a phone number which Lowe's keeps in the database. So the cashier scans the barcodes of the returned products, enters the phone number, and the system searches the database. This way you can still get cash back (if thats the tender you paid in) or they can return it in the correct tender. Before this system, you had a bunch of old guys coming in with their DIY returns with three hundreds CPVC fittings from their MLTs (ha ha) and expecting to get cash back without a receipt. Well, sorry, that hasn't been done in virtually any major retail store in years. So guess what? You're stuck with store credit and then you get REALLY pissed. Again, they don't sell your phone number, they are attempting to avoid the disgruntled old guy (and there are plenty of them) that wants cash back for their purchase that they bought six years ago. So its your right to not give a phone number, but its also their right to give you store credit! It says so on those 8' by 10' posters near the return desk that no one reads.

the other day, i went in to get some stuff, and I thought i would go ahead a get some reflectix while i was at HD..

well, they didnt have it, but i asked a worker there if they had it:

B: do you guys carry something called reflectix? It is a reflective insulation in a role... I saw that Lowes had it, but I was here anyway...

W: well, you should have got it while you were there...

I had an interview a little over ten years ago with the local Home Depot to work in their lumber department. The guy who was interviewing me asked me if I knew what the difference between manufactured framing members and dimensional lumber was. I told him that dimensional lumber was wood such as spruce or redwood cut to dimensions such as 2x4 and 2x6 and generally used for structural framing and construction while the manufactured products were a blend of wood and resins and comes in a variety of lengths and configurations and were also used in framing construction. He told me that 2x4s and 2x6s weren't dimensional lumber and I told him he was full of **** and didn't know what he was talking about. That guy was supposed to be the department manager, too. Needless to say I didn't get the job. I haven't regretted it at all, though. What a numb-nut.

idkid said:
Being a former worker at Lowe's, I'll chime in on the phone number thing.

I did not know that, makes sense. I thought it was for marketing. I also get annoyed when they ask. I was in line behind some people and the cashier was asking for the number and making small talk - being annoyed already by the number thing when it was my turn I ended up just repeating the previous customers number. I wonder if they noticed.

Back