In the name of not wasting beer...Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
Alright so I made pilsner with left over stuiff and cheap brewers yeast. I miscalculated how much would boil off so I was left with about 2 liters of extra wort after I filled my half gallon fermenter. I didnt want to use a 6 gallon carboy so I improvised. I was using a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut off as a funnel. (I bought a funnel now so no more of that) I poured my extar wort in to the liter bottle piched some yeast and put the cut off bottom back on the bottle. Not idea obviously but I didnt want to pour it. Well it looks a bit infected. Wow surprise in a house with ferrets that have been know to **** in the corners of that room. So i was wondering...
What if I pasteurize that left over wort. That would kill the nasties but also the yeast. Well what if i recovered some of the yeast from my 1/2 gallon of "properly" fermented beer. I could repitch that recovered yeast while I bottle that mystery beer and it would carbonate with my sugar that I would obviously add.

Any problems with this experiment? Also what temp and how long to pasturise and kill the nasties?

olllllo said:
Looks infected or tastes infected?

Killing the bugs and eliminating the off-flavors are two mutually exclusive ideas.
Defiantly, just wanted to experiment and see what it turned out as.

uglygoat said:
serve it to the ferrets.... :cross:

Yeah, nothing is funnier than drunk ferrets ... well maybe chimps in business suits but it's real close. :D

next time, freeze the extra wort, and use it when you need fermentables for a starter.

it'll have to be reboiled to sanitize again, for like 10-15 minutes tops.

Back