What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are right, D. This was extremely well-wrapped so no freezer burn or anything visibly wrong with it, it's just past its prime by now methinks!
Some enjoy the oxidized flavor. but when you are expecting that sweet silk of fresher pork fat it is off putting. Beef fat tends to last a little longer. wild game of course has basically no fat and last really long.

all said frozen meat can be eaten when stored for long periods but quality does suffer. I like to stock up in the freezer but also need be wary of over supplying my ability to eat it in timely matter.

Chicken legs with an excellent chipotle-lime glaze. Even better on wings, better char and glaze to chicken ratio in each bite.
1000001953.jpg

No pictures because it's almost gone but yesterday we did 2 pounds of 93/7 ground beef into jerky in the dehydrator. It's delicious! AND the 2 pounds of ground yielded just over 1 pound of jerky - for a cost of less than $10 for the meat, plus the few cents' worth of seasonings and the time it took to dehydrate, about 5.5 hours. A pound of beef jerky on Amazon runs northwards of $35. AND I have the benefit of knowing/controlling exactly what is in mine!

Can't wait to make more. We're gonna do 9 pounds of ground beef this next time, then we can vacuum-seal the jerky.

No pictures because it's almost gone but yesterday we did 2 pounds of 93/7 ground beef into jerky in the dehydrator. It's delicious! AND the 2 pounds of ground yielded just over 1 pound of jerky - for a cost of less than $10 for the meat, plus the few cents' worth of seasonings and the time it took to dehydrate, about 5.5 hours. A pound of beef jerky on Amazon runs northwards of $35. AND I have the benefit of knowing/controlling exactly what is in mine!

Can't wait to make more. We're gonna do 9 pounds of ground beef this next time, then we can vacuum-seal the jerky.
can't beat homemade jerky. i purchased a well made tube gun think it's called the judge makes quick work to squeeze out ground meat. And the LEM square dehydrator, think it holds 3lbs of squeezed strips maybe 5 can't remember.

i have made stackable racks that fit in the pit boss which gives it a nice smoke but there are hot spots and racks require rotation.

I buy pre-cut carne asada at the local Winco, and it's often in the $3/pound range (sometimes less) when buying bulk packs. Perfect thickness for beef jerky IMO. I'll make up 5-10 pounds at a time in our small commercial dehydrator.

Marinate overnight in the Amazing Ribs recipe, then load onto racks and dehydrate @ 165F until done (usually 4-5 hours)

Reminds me ... I'm out, so it's time for another batch

We have the LEM big jerky cannon but I've found it easier just to roll out the meat with a rolling pin and use a pizza cutter to score it, then use my super-sharp 6" chef's knife to sever the strips and place them on the perforated silicone mats we bought for the Excalibur dehydrator. The test run of this season 2 pounds of ground beef made 3 trays of beef strips. So now I am gonna do 6 more pounds since we have 9 trays in that dehydrator! May as well load 'er up!

9 trays (6 pounds) of ground beef jerky in the Excalibur. 6 hours from now it should be perfect!

Not much to see now but will try to remember a couple pictures when the trays come out later.
I have the five tray LEM dehydrator. It must do 5lbs. these newer dehydrators work great and temp is consistent from top to bottom.

I like the Excalibur pretty well - I wish it had a settable thermostat though. You can set it to approximate temps but it's more about a range. We've run a temp probe in there and it swings just about 20* - 10 each above and below the set point. BUT, it works great anyway. This one is probably 10 years old now, I'm guessing.

Getting rid of the maple syrup before the season starts up again. Couldn't find the 4th ramekin but I like the higher walled one.

Can't go wrong when the base is pecan flour, butter, sugar and whiskey. Substitute in for ice cream. Easy maple pecan whiskey pudding recipe
PXL_20240224_233519748.jpg

Forgive me foodies, for I have prepared a few meals since my last post.
F83320D9-3A51-48AE-85F0-7144B2FE533A.jpeg

Roasted pork loin, sweet potatoes and glazed purple carrots with honey and French four spice.
3DA7C3F2-773E-4D2C-A606-3414D96A543B.jpeg

Shrimp fajitas, all the avocado in the store were over or underripe so single portions was it. Salad below.
EF0A92E3-0B46-44FC-8799-C448924F709C.jpeg
71CA35DC-4E70-4A8A-802E-B918CD7FAD6F.jpeg

Beef chili with beans.

Thanks for the link, that looks delicious! I will definitely not use my Veuve Clicquot in that however - I like your idea of buying an inexpensive bottle to make that dish.

We just bought a new kitchen gadget - a Stuffler waffle maker - learning curve but we're having fun. Will post pictures when I get some good ones. The first one we made, the mistake was trying to use a 1/2" thick cut of ham steak without browning it up and releasing all the moisture in a skillet FIRST. Made the bottom of the waffle soggy.

Last night we used deli meats and cheeses and made some delicious sandwiches but forgot pictures.

This is the machine though:

IMG_3881.jpeg

I was away in Memphis last week, so you had a break from my posts😉. We were eating some leftovers prior and not much of interest since I’ve been home.
I have plans to eat out for St. Paddy’s, but did buy a piece of corned beef and all the usual sides to cook for another day.

Last edited:
We plan to do Corned Beef, Cabbage, Potatoes and Carrots in the crockpot Sunday. I always buy an extra corned beef to make pastrami with. Katz copycat recipe is my go-to. I am also trying my hand at sourdough pizza dough. I have a couple dough balls in the fridge doing their thing until Saturday. I will try to post up pics, I am bad about that. When its finished I am ready to eat!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci.../home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe/

Boy it's sure quiet in here lately! Miss the meals and camaraderie!

Anybody doing St. Patrick's Day cooking? I have a beautiful point cut corned beef brisket, KOTC has requested fried cabbage, will cook up a few carrots and turnips in the Instant Pot with the corned beef. Looking forward to it!

Yeah, doing corned beef and fixins' in the Instant Pot too. It's da bomb.

We usually get at least two. One for corned beef and cabbage/taters/carrots, the other for Reuben sandwiches.

Been traveling in Japan for the last, almost, three weeks and haven't touched a cooking utensil until tonight. Decided to save a few Benjamin's tonight and go to the grocery store (ready to go home though, suitcase living has gotten a bit old).

PXL_20240318_102940984.jpg

Also we picked up a new kitchen knife while here.
PXL_20240318_102354555.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Beautiful knife! I'd love one like that some day. We've watched Forged in Fire for years and enjoyed learning the process on blades like that one!

Cooked two corned beef briskets in the Instant Pot; panfried cabbage with bacon and onion; boiled baby carrots and turnip chunks in the leftover broth from the corned beef. The beef was so good, we went back to the store this morning to pick up a few for the freezer and not one to be found! OH WELL.

Back