Brewing Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Well, over the weekend, I bottled my Phat Tire. I went to rack the Kolsch to secondary, but it wasn't ready. I had a thick milky bubble layer on top (Krausen, me thinks). It had been in the primary for a week, with strong activity in the airlock for the first 48hrs or so. I took a gravity reading, and it was 1.024 (OG was 1.050). So, I stirred the heck out of the yeast with my sanitized racking cane and resealed it. Boom, two hours later it rose back to 62F and was bubbling away again. I have let it go since Saturday, with a twice a day rousing of the bucket to try and keep it going. I am hoping that tonight it will be ready for secondary racking.

On a side note, the Phat Tyre was pretty good at bottling time, and in the bottles its my clearest beer yet. And Saturday night, I tried my WInter Warmer for the first time....9.0% baby! Wow, it came out better than expected...a little spicy (from the hops me thinks) with a definate warming note. It makes an excellent "nite-cap" beer or after dinner beer.

-Todd

BeeGee said:
Sounds like the pipeline is healthy! Better start planning the next batch for when the Kolsch vacates the bucket.

Indeed, the future plans are : Warsteiner Clone, Dark Raspberry Wheat, Irish Stout, IPA.....
:cross:

Well, despite shaking things up twice a day, my Kolsch stalled out at 1.024. So, last nigt I repitched another smack-pack of Wyeast Kolsch. It started bubbling within 30min, so hopefully it will be finished by tommorow night. I want to get it into the secondary, as tomorrow marks two weeks in the primary. I don't want the trub to give me any off flavors.

-Todd

Back