What beer, homebrew or commercial got you into crafts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Budweiser.

That, and being a broke college student. I first started brewing in 1991 from Munton & Fison kits because I was broke.

New Belgiums Belgo Belgian IPA.

I had had some "good" beers (by college terms), Killians, Newcastle, and Guinness, but when I tasted the Hops and Citrus I was blown away.

Cool thread!

Portland Brewing's Oregon Honey beer, maybe 1996.

lHoneySixPack.jpg

I've long become a purist since, never flavoring my beers, but it was the eye opener for me to launch me into the hobby.

Yuengling has always been the standard beer in my area so it got me into good tasting beer. When your first beer is a yuegling you never care to drink bmc. Troegs Hopback is the beer that really changed my life.

A relative handed me a maple porter that he made. That was 15 years ago. I was hooked and have yet to taste a better one.

Bitburger. I came back from Germany, and discovered American beer mainly tasted like water.

A couple of beers from Yazoo Brewery in Nashville -- their pale ale and Hop Project series. Downed a lot of those and eventually came to the realization that I'd like to try making my own beers... Thanks, Yazoo! Wish I still lived around there.

I used to buy an 8 pack of Keiths and 2 cans of Boddy's, Newcastle or Guinness to pre-game for the bar when I was a kid. Had been drinking Guinness and Propeller ESB (Halifax, NS craft) almost exclusively for 5 or 6 years until I started kit and kilo last fall. I've started to try more styles now, because I want to brew more styles.

Looking into all-grain now. Need to acquire some gear before we get there though.

Latest posts

Back