Durian?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indie

Reaction score
The other day I tried (freeze dried) durian for the first time. It had quite the unique, albeit pungent, odor and taste. I hear the fresh fruit is much more intense in both smell and taste, and people either love it or hate it.

Here's the wiki on the fruit for those unfamiliar: Durian

Has anyone ever tried using durian as a fermentable in their brews? I imagine it would lend itself much better to a mead or a wine. I haven't found anything on fermenting it, other than the dish mentioned in the wiki.

I'm seriously debating giving this a whirl, assuming SWMBO and I can take the smell on initial prep, and then with the aroma that's released with the CO2 during fermentation.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I tried one of those in Florida one year and all I can say is they should be wiped from the Earth. They have no place here. I fu..ing hate them. I will never forget how they smell. Horrible. The last 2 feet of the local landfill smells better. Good luck.:mug:

No thoughts or suggestions, but I have had fresh Durian. I spent a few weeks in Malaysia on Borneo in a couple summers ago and one of my co workers got it all the time. He had to sneak it into the hotel because they really frown upon it. It can have an extreme odor that some people find very offensive.

Fresh Durian kind of reminded me of yogurt that has been sitting out for a while and developed a "Skin". The smell is indeed very pungent but I didn't think it was bad. The flavor sort of reminded me of Almond butter and honey.

Thanks for the nostalgic trip. Now I need to go find me a Tiger lager.....

Minum Beer!!!

Scroll down to the similar threads box below.

030b3ba341b1315e54803038f5f74785.gif

ah ha! for some reason i missed that in my hasty search. thanks... now it seems i have to actually make one to bring some closure to my curiosity.

Latest posts

Back