Ebay can be a puzzling place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
There is a used PhilMill 2 on auction right now--it ends in an hour, and is currently at $130 + $18 dollars shipping.

Now, I don't know exactly what a PhilMill 2 goes for new, but I know that you can by a Crankanstein or Barley Crusher mill complete, brand new, for just about that exact same amount.

The last couple JSP mills I've seen there also went for prices very similar to what a new one would cost. I'm frequently surprised at what people are willing to pay for stuff. I know that a grain mill is a product that should last a very long time, so buying used may not be a bad strategy. But I'm never going to pay 80-90% of the cost of a brand new item to buy it used. That just seems kindof goofy to me.

Do you think people just get caught up in the fun of trying to win auctions, or what? I'd say 75% of the items I "watch" on ebay go well past the price I would consider paying for that item.

cweston said:
Do you think people just get caught up in the fun of trying to win auctions, or what? I'd say 75% of the items I "watch" on ebay go well past the price I would consider paying for that item.

They call it the "Winner's Curse" in finance classes. You get so into winning that you end up spending more than it's worth.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that.
For me, if its not a great deal I would rather pay full price with a reputable supplier that take the chance of problems with an ebay transaction.

Ive only had good outcomes from ebay. In fact one time someone sent me a bunch of stuff i never even bid on, (walkie-talkies and other odd electronics) Just out of the blue I got a package. I never paid for it or heard anything else about it. Another time I bought a camera from some dude in Australia and after he realized the camera was broke he sent my money back immediately. The only problem Ive had was with a recent seller, but that was more misscommunication. Ebay is awesome if you research what you are buying, and only buy from sellers with good feedback. The key is patience...Prices fluctuate according to the market and all kinds of crazy things I imagine. If you wait it out you can save thousands of dollars.

I think some people really like E-bay. I hate it and I have never had a bad experiance. Every transaction I have done has been great I just don't find the stress of dealing with personal sellers that worthwhile. Also I think the day of the good deal on e-bay is gone. Back in the day you could find real deals now I look there for the random crap I can't find at Amazon.

Cheesefood said:
...They call it the "Winner's Curse" ...

This is very true, but also recently (past 2 years) almost everything with a buy it now will cost you +$20 because of the new "fad" in inflated shipping charges. A few years back my friends jokingly called me 'the king of eBay' because I turned there for everything

Recently I will only look for used items on ebay, its really the only good way to get a deal anymore.

Torben Ulrich said:
Ive only had good outcomes from ebay...

I agree with this: I've had only positive outcomes on the things I've bought there as well. Patience is definitely the key: a lot of items end up selling for way more than what I'd consider paying. The grain mill thing is puzzling because I've been watching them for a while and I've never seen one sell for what I would consider a reasonable price.

RichBrewer said:
Sounds like a deal at $148. William's Breweing sells it for $174.90 plus $6 to $14 for shipping.

I think possibly the Phil Mill II has been discontinued? Not very many places seem to sell it. My sense of the value of the price was based on what some popular competitors cost--the barleycrusher and crankandsteins are both available complete w/ hopper and drill attachment form thier manufacturers for about $140.

Cheesefood said:
They call it the "Winner's Curse" in finance classes. You get so into winning that you end up spending more than it's worth.

Yes, depending on what it is, at least for me. If it is something that I can't get anywhere else, like certain ice fishing equipment that is no longer made, than yes, I'll pay more for them than I should. But if it is a fairly common item, then I can be more able to restrain myself.........

cweston said:
I think possibly the Phil Mill II has been discontinued? Not very many places seem to sell it. My sense of the value of the price was based on what some popular competitors cost--the barleycrusher and crankandsteins are both available complete w/ hopper and drill attachment form thier manufacturers for about $140.
William's has them in stock.
If what you say is true those other mills are a much better value.:mug:
It pays to shop around.

eBay is something that is easy and convenient for so many people, as well as having the ease of using PayPal or Western Union to pay for the auctions instantly. And I think that this translates into some lazy people. I have sold used motorcycle part for the cost of new or more. I cant really figure out why people do it, but they are willing to spend money on eBay, that they could have spent elsewhere, and paying less for the same items new at an online retailer.

I cruise eBay daily for items, and bookmark so many autions. Of course there are a few that are cheap, as the seller doesnt know the value, but there are some that are just so darned bizarre. Is it laziness? stupidity? way too much time and money? I have no flocking clue... all I know is people will pay.

PT Barnum said it best..."There's a customer born every minute."

(The phrase "There's a sucker born every minute..." was not said by PT Barnum. The actual phrase was "There's a sucker born every minute...but none of them ever die". A New York police inspector named Alexander Williams attributed the phrase being uttered by "Paper Collar" Joe Bessimer, a con man of the 1880's.)

RichBrewer said:
William's has them in stock.
If what you say is true those other mills are a much better value.:mug:
It pays to shop around.

With the exception of their oxegynation kit, Williams does not strike me as a very low-cost provider. I'd be checking prices at NB and morebeer and austin before buying anything from Williams.

Back