Do I need to shake my fermentor? answer is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
I have decided that I should be able to answer this once and for all. The answer is NO unless you are attempting to "jump-start" a stuck fermentation. However, I really do not see much harm in this practice, IMO it just does not need to be done.

Some people claim that they can get a point or 2 more out of fermentation by "rousing the yeast" after primary is over. I will report back to this thread as I will be trying to get as much as possible out of this batch! I plan on waiting until I get the same hydro reading 3 days in a row then "rousing the yeast" for 2 days after that, to see if I really do get a point or 2 more.

I have taken this footage to show that there is NO need to shake a fermentor during primary fermentation. I am not shaking or using a stir plate. I use glass carboys to primary in and discovered what was happening. This is my IIPA that I pitched a 2L starter into, less than 48 hours ago.The footage speaks for itself.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional video maker. If something like this has been posted here before I do apologize. Feel free to do what you will with this post. enjoy!

I believe the "chunks" you are seeing are yeast rafts.

Special thanks to SWMBO for holding the light/assistance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have decided that I should be able to answer this once and for all. The answer is NO unless you are attempting to "jump-start" a stuck fermentation. However, I really do not see much harm in this practice, IMO it just does not need to be done. [/url]

You run the risk of introducing excess o2 into the beer once it's started fermenting. Especially if you've opened the fermenter countless times because you are a nervous noob who has to fiddle. You want to eliminate risks as much as possible. SO yeah, if you KNOW your fermentation is stuck (confirmed by gravity readings and not by airlock or krausen development) a gentle swirl will theoretically get the yeast off the bottom and hopefully they will find the extra sugar. But just to do it because you are nervous and need to futz...not a good idea.

You run the risk of introducing excess o2 into the beer once it's started fermenting. Especially if you've opened the fermenter countless times because you are a nervous noob who has to fiddle. You want to eliminate risks as much as possible. SO yeah, if you KNOW your fermentation is stuck (confirmed by gravity readings and not by airlock or krausen development) a gentle swirl will theoretically get the yeast off the bottom and hopefully they will find the extra sugar. But just to do it because you are nervous and need to futz...not a good idea.

It is all your (and a few others) fantastic posts and knowledge that helped me decide to post and track this a bit! I also thought if there as a video for some of the "nervous noobs" to get a link to, it may actually help calm them a bit. :mug:

4 batches in, I haven't had a furious fermentation like that. My witbier developped krausen when I was sleeping and now I don't have any of the cool foam to watch, only the poo covered walls of my bucket (clear lids are the bomb). My Winter Warmer is chugging along nicely with almost three inches of cake at the bottom and nice fluffy foam, but I have the feeling it will also ninja krausen me during my sleep.

I'm jealous, but I know everything is working right since the CO2 hits you the moment you open the door to the brew room. I might have to crack a window for some ventilation, altough headaches concerns are non existent since I don't venture there unless I have to.

Ty Revvy!

4 batches in, I haven't had a furious fermentation like that. My witbier developped krausen when I was sleeping and now I don't have any of the cool foam to watch, only the poo covered walls of my bucket (clear lids are the bomb). My Winter Warmer is chugging along nicely with almost three inches of cake at the bottom and nice fluffy foam, but I have the feeling it will also ninja krausen me during my sleep.

I'm jealous, but I know everything is working right since the CO2 hits you the moment you open the door to the brew room. I might have to crack a window for some ventilation, altough headaches concerns are non existent since I don't venture there unless I have to.

The point of the post and video is not so much "look at this particular fermentation" but more "It takes care of/ mixes itself and does not need someone messing with it for it to do it's thing." Even the mildest of fermentation will have this happening to a point. The smallest of movement is still movement lol!

If this was in an opaque vessel, I would never have seen it or been able to post the vid as the krausen would be all to see.

Also, I have grown past the "must watch everything" stage. I keep a blanket over the top anyways (it is in the video for just a few moments). I trust the yeast!

I have decided that I should be able to answer this once and for all. The answer is NO unless you are attempting to "jump-start" a stuck fermentation. However, I really do not see much harm in this practice, IMO it just does not need to be done.

Some people claim that they can get a point or 2 more out of fermentation by "rousing the yeast" after primary is over. I will report back to this thread as I will be trying to get as much as possible out of this batch! I plan on waiting until I get the same hydro reading 3 days in a row then "rousing the yeast" for 2 days after that, to see if I really do get a point or 2 more.

I have taken this footage to show that there is NO need to shake a fermentor during primary fermentation. I am not shaking or using a stir plate. I use glass carboys to primary in and discovered what was happening. This is my IIPA that I pitched a 2L starter into, less than 48 hours ago.The footage speaks for itself.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional video maker. If something like this has been posted here before I do apologize. Feel free to do what you will with this post. enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkY83tzuC-U

I believe the "chunks" you are seeing are yeast rafts.

Special thanks to SWMBO for holding the light/assistance!

Did you try this? Did you get any more points out of it? Just curious

I am sorry. I had lost track of this thread. Yes, I did shake it and no I did not get any more points out of the batch. I had 2 carboys of the same beer. I shook 1 and let the other rest. Both finished at the same Gravity. of 1.004 :eek:.

I confuse - what are you trying to teach us with your post & video?

Yes, shaking a carboy is probably the worst thing you could ever do. Rousing your yeast gently by stirring is fine.

Yes, fermentation in a carboy looks sweet. I like the vid, and I love watching beer ferment.

What is your point? Am I missing something?

I am sorry. I had lost track of this thread. Yes, I did shake it and no I did not get any more points out of the batch. I had 2 carboys of the same beer. I shook 1 and let the other rest. Both finished at the same Gravity. of 1.004 :eek:.

Thanks for the update!:mug:

It's like one of those urban legends of home brewing, and I was psyched to hear you were going to try it.
1.004, wow! It does sound like you got all you could from it. :D

What about for an extremely flocculant yeast like WY1968? I was rousing (swirling) daily during fermentation just to make sure they didnt drop out and it still finished at 1030 (from 1085, but it tastes good). I think people shaking the fermentors for no reason and opening them up to look inside is a bad idea, but swirling can be necessary for some yeasts.

What about for an extremely flocculant yeast like WY1968? I was rousing (swirling) daily during fermentation just to make sure they didnt drop out and it still finished at 1030 (from 1085, but it tastes good). I think people shaking the fermentors for no reason and opening them up to look inside is a bad idea, but swirling can be necessary for some yeasts.

I have a feeling that since yeast have been fermenting pretty successfully for 4,000 years or more, most of it with little help from us, that they can find all the sugars on their own. I really don't think we need to be all figity wigit with out beers.

I pitch my yeast and come back in a month, and they have yet to fail me.

Latest posts

Back