Using new O2 unit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyBoy

Reaction score
After having 1 part backordered for 10 weeks I finally received it in the mail earlier this week and got to use my new O2 setup. Here is a pic of it just before hooking up the O2 tank and the H2O. What a comforting feeling having almost no exposure to the wort while infusing O2 and transferring to the fermenter.

DSC00690.JPG

It's the one they sell at B3. I bought everything separate and saved $70. From left to right: Thermometer, clover w/female threads, "T", sight glass, "T", Pro O2 Stone.

Pro_O2.JPG

What are you using for a tank and regulator? What pressure/flow did you use and for how long?
That's a nice inline O2 set-up.

What are you using for a tank and regulator? What pressure/flow did you use and for how long?
That's a nice inline O2 set-up.

I used a disposable tank and a fermentap regulator with no gage. I had it on for 1/3 of the whole racking time on a pale ale last Thursday. Fermentation started in about 8 hours.

I'm piecing an inline system together too, hope to get it completed and tested this weekend. I'll be sure to post the results.

It's the one they sell at B3. I bought everything separate and saved $70. From left to right: Thermometer, clover w/female threads, "T", sight glass, "T", Pro O2 Stone.

Pro_O2.JPG

What did the "sight glass" and the "Pro O2 Stone" cost you if a person were to purchase these items themself may I ask?

Reason asking I hate working with stainless on the lathe it's just me and a stainless thing. I have a bar 10' long, 4.125" wide by 0.4375" thick or 7/16" of brass. I was thinking about machining end flanges with seal pockets before the pyrex glass, NPT in the center with three long 10-32 stainless screws with the stone centered in the sight glass section using stainless Tig wire. This to see directly the bubbles coming off the stone. Pickle the brass and assemble, use the 260 cu/ft welding bottle for the O2 off my welding outfit as gauges and regulators I have many extras. Also a hospital medical flow meter in litres a minute scaled from 1/2 to 15 LPM O2 so I could accurately repeat the O2 injection times as well the O2 concentration amounts during every brewing session.

What did the "sight glass" and the "Pro O2 Stone" cost you if a person were to purchase these items themself may I ask?

Reason asking I hate working with stainless on the lathe it's just me and a stainless thing. I have a bar 10' long, 4.125" wide by 0.4375" thick or 7/16" of brass. I was thinking about machining end flanges with seal pockets before the pyrex glass, NPT in the center with three long 10-32 stainless screws with the stone centered in the sight glass section using stainless Tig wire. This to see directly the bubbles coming off the stone. Pickle the brass and assemble, use the 260 cu/ft welding bottle for the O2 off my welding outfit as gauges and regulators I have many extras. Also a hospital medical flow meter in litres a minute scaled from 1/2 to 15 LPM O2 so I could accurately repeat the O2 injection times as well the O2 concentration amounts during every brewing session.

The sight glass was about $85 and the stone was $80. Luckily I got the stone for free because B3 screwed up and didn't know they shipped it to me. The cool thing is I was able to sit in on a batch at the local microbrewery Saturday and they were using the identical sight glass.

Sure;$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah I know a wise ass but worth it on this one, sorry couldn't resist.

And I am so happy all the equipment buying is over with! It took me one tax return, one escrow check, (from refinancing to a lower interest rate on my house), one $1000 road bicycle, and spare cash from just about every paycheck for 6 months to complete my build.

The payoff is nice now. I get my grain and hops from a microbrewery at wholesale so my batches cost me $.19 to $.35 a beer. (Not counting propane.) I also love my hobbies so it was worth it.

Back