Sour fermentation location?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southside

Reaction score
Ok, I have a cellar in my basement that I have setup and do all of my fermetnations in and transfers to bottles and kegs. Everything from my grain, bottles, kegerator, etc is kept in here. I was going to brew a Imperial English mild and wanted to pitch some dregs from a JP La Roja in to it. So here is my question, do I have to worry about anything coming out of the airlock that would per se land on the walls, bench, etc that would possibly get to the next regular beer I ferment in the same are or transfer to bottles. I know if I did an open fermentation I would have to worry about this, but will the bugs come out of airlock too? should I ferment sour beers in a complete seperate location?

Thanks for any info.

do I have to worry about anything coming out of the airlock that would per se land on the walls, bench, etc that would possibly get to the next regular beer I ferment in the same are or transfer to bottles.

Your walls are already covered in lacto/pedio/brett/klock/etero/etc, and you dont worry about this because you sanitize your equipment before using it

The bugs in a sour blend are no different than anything already living on all the surfaces in your house, they also will not come out of the airlock

I ferment my sours directly next to my "clean" beers, and even use the same carboy for either type.

I think there is too much fear of wild bacteria when someone considers brewing a lambic/etc. I have a feeling this comes from the big breweries concerns about contamination, but they are worried about transfer lines etc, we dont have to worry about that, and its very easy to disassemble all of our equipment to clean - I even use the same racking cane and tubing

Back