Highland Brewing Gaelic Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updated recipe:

Gaelic Ale--Highland Brewing--AG

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.75
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.38
Anticipated SRM: 13.9
Anticipated IBU: 31.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
55.8 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
27.9 3.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
9.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
4.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
2.3 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 25.9 60 min.
0.55 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 2.5 5 min.
0.55 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 2.9 5 min.

Yeast
-----
???

Single Infusion Mash @ 153° for 60 minutes

I think I am going to use the Wyeast 1728 (but I think an authentic gaelic is prolly closer to 1056). At any rate, this is coming up soon. I'll be updating the recipe in my sig in a few minutes.

I'm calling this Mc"Craic"en's Irish Red.

I tried this one last fall, as a pm. I'm doing AG now, and I think I would probably up the munich a little bit, and mash a little higher- maybe 156. The Speical B could probably come up just a bit, too When I had the real deal, it was considerably more full-bodied and sweet than what I brewed. What I brewed was really, really good, but as a clone it was a bit off. This recipe is at least in the neighborhood, and I wasn't too worried about an exact clone, so take that as you will.

I tried this one last fall, as a pm. I'm doing AG now, and I think I would probably up the munich a little bit, and mash a little higher- maybe 156. The Speical B could probably come up just a bit, too When I had the real deal, it was considerably more full-bodied and sweet than what I brewed. What I brewed was really, really good, but as a clone it was a bit off. This recipe is at least in the neighborhood, and I wasn't too worried about an exact clone, so take that as you will.

Thanks for the information. I will be giving this a try sometime soon.

Thread resurrection! I missed the boil for 90 minutes part, and I collected a bit too much sparge water, so that even though I hit my efficiency dead on I only came in at 1.050. I mashed higher (around 155 fro most of mash) and will see if I can keep it around 65 for the ferment and see how Gaelic Lite is. I'll make sure to correct those mistakes next time around, since I already have ingredients for another batch (probably fall or winter).

So I'm looking to brew the Gaelic as my first "not out of a box" beer. I'd like do a partial mash version of this, but really dont know how to convert the AG version to a partial mash recipe. Would anyone be willing to take a minute and spell it out for me?

So I'm looking to brew the Gaelic as my first "not out of a box" beer. I'd like do a partial mash version of this, but really dont know how to convert the AG version to a partial mash recipe. Would anyone be willing to take a minute and spell it out for me?

Get BrewTarget or some other software. Enter in the recipe given, then cut out some of the base malt (half of it?) until you have an amount of grain you can mash in your pot or whatever. Then add back DME (light, golden light, whatever) until your gravity numbers hit what they were before you cut out the base malt. There are also ways to calculate how much DME or LME you need, but I forget the numbers, and they are vary based on your efficiency (1 lb 2-row=.75 lbs LME=.6 lbs DME, or something to that effect.)

OG: 1.056

2.5 lbs DME
2 lbs 2 row (I cut this down more than half since vienna and munich are also base malts)
3 lbs munich
1 lb vienna
8 oz c40
8 oz c60
4 oz Special B

Do hops like normal.

Back