Oily looking beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdIn

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Brief introduction, I've started a few month ago and with the help of Mr Beer kit, Palmer's book and this forum I have successfully done a few batches of different blends of beer. Since it's kind of cold here in Washington state I mostly experimented with Lagers leaving Ales for a warmer part of the year. Any way, here is my question. My beer is kind of "oily" compare to "normal" (store sold) beer. It tastes good, I have good carbonation, gravity as required. But in the glass it looks like it has higher viscosity. Is it normal? May be it's simply not enough conditioned? May be it's just a sign of a good beer :)

Thanks and keep this great forum up!

I'm not sure what you mean by oily. It has an oily taste? Has a weird mouthfeel? What kind of beer is it, what where your ingredients?

No, taste is fine. I tried extracts with steeping or minimash. It's like if you look at the corn oil in the bottle when you shake it a bit - you see the liquid has a different viscosity compare to water. Same here. I see it with my Pilsner, which is pretty light. To a higher degree with my last doppelbock experiment. If I go to the store and buy Optimator - I don't see it.

It taste good, gravity is good, sounds like a beer with a little more body to me.....Thicker, richer, mabe? You can always just box them all up and ship them to me...I will dispose of them properly....:D I think its just good beer>>>

That's inspiring. I worry that it's not going to store for a long time. Although with 2.5 gal fermenter I have for a moment I doubt I'll keep it for a long time...

Regarding high abv - no, not really. Chill haze - hard to tell, before I did not do a good job on clarity and used irish moss only on my last batch which is carbonating now. I'll see how it goes in a month or so.

It's called body. The unfermentable sugars and proteins not only contribute to the mouth-feel, they have a visible impact on the motion. Not a bad thing, IMO.

david_42 said:
It's called body. The unfermentable sugars and proteins not only contribute to the mouth-feel, they have a visible impact on the motion. Not a bad thing, IMO.

AdIn,
what was the OG and the FG of the beer? If you have a high contents of unfermentable sugars, your FG should be higher than expected.

Kai

The one which shows this oiliness and I have the records of is Pilsner (like) with OG was 52 and FG 08 which was pretty much acording to the recipe.

AdIn

AdIn said:
The one which shows this oiliness and I have the records of is Pilsner (like) with OG was 52 and FG 08 which was pretty much acording to the recipe.

AdIn

that sounds like a dry beer to me...what you have is an enigma...an oily yet dry beer.

Back