Gotta Love the Old Man…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
He loves the fact that he can tell his buddies that his son brews his own beer. Of course, he’s an MGD drinker from way back with a strong German heritage…hailing from Wisconsin…
He’s not one to venture out too far when it comes to beer.

He lives about 3 hours away and the other day I send my Dad a picture of the old Craftsman drill he gave me some…20+ years ago.

Drill1.jpg

Drill2.jpg

I simply said…
”I bet you never thought you’d see this thing put to good use again…huh?”

To which he responded…
“Wow…no kidding. Is that your new hop grinder you were talking about? Fancy…”
“You making some more of that German Stout this weekend?”

I didn’t have the heart to correct him and I could only reply…
“Yep…that’s how I crush my hops now…and as a matter of fact, I got a kettle of German Stout on the boil now…”

Love ya Dad.

Hehe thats awesome. My sister gave me a hefe kit for xmas and my dad came over to see what I had got. He pointed to the bag of grains and said "So these are hops?"

Sure Pop...

That is great. My Dad gave me my brewkettle, and he cares less about beer than yours, although he did hang out with me during my last mash. :)

TL

Biermuncher, I love in the background your 10 cornies.....I have only two....I want more.... :mug:

It's my mission to educate my dad with my limited knowledge of beer... I'm lucky though... he is 100% into it! Come to think of it I had to educate my husband until he found you guys!

My old man's only drunk NA beer for years and years. The only "beer" with less flavor than Coors Light has got to be O'doules. I might try and "neuter" a batch, BM-style, for him in the spring, some kind of light pale ale or something (he used to be a Genny drinker, but he's open-minded enough to drink something with a bit more flavor).

My dad loves to come over and watch me brew. I don't think it's the brewing he likes as much as it's time with his kid (one of 3 but the only one that does not ***** at him non stop) and drink beer, my beer. He gave me cash this year that went to buy me a BC Mill. Dads rock. :rockin:

My mom died recently and at her service, we were talking to her friends from work and they asked who in the family brewed beer... I answered and they told me about a team building exercise they had a week before and everyone had to give a statement about someone in their family.
My moms answer was that her son brewed beer and that it was great. I guess they got into a big discussion about it and her coworkers wanted me to know how much she loved it and how proud she was.

I thought that was kick ass!

capcrnch said:
My mom died recently and at her service, we were talking to her friends from work and they asked who in the family brewed beer... I answered and they told me about a team building exercise they had a week before and everyone had to give a statement about someone in their family.
My moms answer was that her son brewed beer and that it was great. I guess they got into a big discussion about it and her coworkers wanted me to know how much she loved it and how proud she was.

I thought that was kick ass!

Dude that is cool. My mom wont be around much longer, she's had 4 heart attacks, 3 strokes and RSD so bad that some days she can't even feed herself.
You really need to show your mom and dads how much they mean to you when ever you can.

FSR402 said:
Dude that is cool. My mom wont be around much longer, she's had 4 heart attacks, 3 strokes and RSD so bad that some days she can't even feed herself.
You really need to show your mom and dads how much they mean to you when ever you can.

Agreed.
My mom was only 57 years old.
At some point you realize you'll have to lay your parents to rest, but you never think they'll be so young, or you.
I've been preaching to friends on how they need to call their moms and just let them know they love them. I have to be getting annoying with it.

My dad got me into craft beer.

I remember hockey games when I was a kid...we'd be in the concession line, but we'd always have to go to two...one to get the food, and for him, in his words the other to get, "real beer."

Yeah, don't want to hijack this thread but its such a shame to me that I can't share this with him. Hell, he doesn't even know about the walk-in cooler...

The way I see it, I'm going to address the issue early with my two boys and let them know that they better sure as hell call me before trying to drive home drunk like I used to do back in the day because of the ass beating he would have laid on me...

John Beere said:
Yeah, don't want to hijack this thread but its such a shame to me that I can't share this with him. Hell, he doesn't even know about the walk-in cooler...

The way I see it, I'm going to address the issue early with my two boys and let them know that they better sure as hell call me before trying to drive home drunk like I used to do back in the day because of the ass beating he would have laid on me...

My dad told me when I was a kid "if you are going to drink, I know you are, drink at home. Then I don't have to worry about you."
So I did, I drank at home and he was fine with it. That also took a lot of the fun away from it because it was something I could do. So I did not drink as much.

BierMuncher said:
Oh man, I didn't know anyone else still had those aluminum-cased hand drills any more. My old man has several and they all have taped-up power cords like yours. :mug:

Regarding the folks and homebrewing, neither are really that interested. Both prefer mild macros like Heineken and Corona, but they'll try the things I make and some of the "out there" imports and micros I buy. They'll politely say "Oh, that's good," but I know they don't like the stuff I make. :eek:

Back