Cider as a Malt Beverage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
When it comes to cider, unlike beer, it seems to me that a high ABV must be a relatively dry cider. I expect that this is because The sugar in cider is almost entirely fructose, which is very fermentable. Maltose, on the other hand, is not very fermentable. I was thinking of mashing some two-row, boiling it down a bit, and then adding it to apple juice, while perhaps adding a small amount of corn sugar. I would hope to achieve a cider of about 7% ABV that is smooth (from proteins in the mash) and relatively sweet. Has this been done? Is this a reprehensible idea?

It's been done (bad use of malt & cider in my opinion), but it is much simpler to use lactose to back-sweeten and maltodextrin for body.

Try mixing cider & beer first. In one version, it's called a Snakebite.

I can imagine that mixing cider and beer would be gross, but because of the hops more than anything. Is there a yeast that will leave some residual sugars in the cider but still carbonate using corn sugar? Danstar Windsor is a low attenuation yeast for beer, but I am skeptical about its use for cider. Thanks.

Back