Silly Q about Cobra Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weasello

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a nice setup but haven't yet put taps into my beer-fridge. I'm sticking with ye olde "Open door, grab cobra tap" method.

Of course, the Cobra Tap is connected to a loose hose, and I can never find a decent spot to place it. It always flops on the ground, bounces around, or sprays a tiny bit of beer here and there.

Is this an intrinsic danger of the cobra-tap, or does anyone have an ingenious solution (purchased or MacGuyvered) to help wrangle cobra taps when they aren't in use?

This is what I macguyvered:

5891-5286.jpg

Take an 8 - 10 inch wire tie.
Strap it loosely around the handle of your keg.
Cut of whatever tag end you have.
Hang your cobra tap on that.

Essentially you are making a loop to hang the cobra tap handle on.

I also use the smaller white cap from carboy caps as an effective cover for the cobra taps faucet.

I've used Velcro straps to keep the longer lines kind of lined up, then bungee them to the keg so they dont flop to the fridge floor, but I leave enough slack to make a pour. That helps, but inevitably during a poker game or such event, the cobra taps get tangled up and drip all over the interior. Aletober, Porter and IPA polka dots! I just finished cleaning out the fridge from Saturday night poker. My poker buddies are pigs, beer drips everywhere inside! There is a reason why they call them cobras.. they spit everywhere, walls, ceilings, other kegs. Its time to convert to a full blown kegerator. Beer rant over

I have been using a picnic tap to "sample" brews that haven't made it to the keezer yet (I have a separate fridge that holds four kegs for carbing and stand-by). I just hang the tap handle on the corny handle, far enough back to not get hit by the fridge door. Seems somewhat risky but haven't gotten bitten yet ;)

Cheers!

This is what I macguyvered:

5891-5286.jpg

Friggin sweet! This is what I need to do to stop the drips going all over the place and the mold growing in my keezer - that and gert some damprid!

I like the oak hanger with the screw in hooks. Thanks for the idea. Here is my modification of that idea. I just wedged a 1x3 on the side of the fridge with 4 hanger hooks.
Cobrataps_zps29cf1719.jpg

Back