Nate's new mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of my new mash tun I put together this week. Bought the cooler on Amazon for under $40 shipped. Had a few parts laying around the garage. Bought a few from Bobby M to complete the build (sight glass and sparger).

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

How did you get the arm through the wall of the cooler? I have one of those and the threads aren't long enough. Did you use an adapter or something?

i was filling the mashtun to calibrate my sightglass. as i got over 6 gallons i started to see some weeping at the bottom two bulk heads fittings. Is there any way around this? i dont want to tighten the nuts on the back any more than i have already. I was thinking of maybe using some high temp caulk around the nipple before i made all the connections - thoughts?

I wouldn't throw any caulking anywhere that it would actually touch your beer. I don't know, maybe it wouldn't really be an issue but it sounds kinda sketchy to me.

I converted an Ice Cube cooler recently with parts that I scrapped together from hardware stores. On my first test fill with cold water everything held fine. Then I did a test run with hot water and it was leaking like crazy. I used some SS Fender washers that fit around the bulkhead and found a couple of O-rings to shove in there for good measure too and it sealed right up. The Fender washers helped shore up the gap that I had without over tightening the nut on the inside.

Bear with me here... I hope this will make sense but heres a word diagram of how mine ended up being set up (more or less).

Ball Valve - Fender Washer - O-Ring - Cooler Wall - O-Ring - Fender Washers - Nut

Hope that helps...

Most of the new good setups you can buy have silicone flat washers on the outside as well as the inside. Put some on the outside and give that a try.

maybe i should go with a silicon flat washer instead of the o-ring. maybe it would be a better seal.

umm caulking is made of silicon. most washers and o rings are made of silicon. What's the difference?:confused:

umm caulking is made of silicon. most washers and o rings are made of silicon. What's the difference?:confused:

Hell if I know but I figure at the very least most washers and o rings that are made of silicon are produced for plumbing of some sort so I figure they're expecting someone to potentially drink water that touched it. Silicon caulking is made for sealing windows on houses and things like that.... I don't know man.... I'm just saying I wouldn't make my own spatula out of silicon caulking just because kitchen stores sell silicon spatulas.

Back