hops and mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made a 1 gallon experiment similar to one previously posted.
-1.5 lbs orange blossom honey
-1oz citra hops
-2 lemons (juice)
-1 tsp energizer/nutrient
-safale s-04 yeast

How long should I let it age before bottling, and is 1oz corn sugar enough to carbonate?

Thanks,
wickerman

I told my self not to bottle earlier than 5 months for the 5 gallon batch. So, mine is still aging, as I want the hops to mellow out a bit. It has almost been 4 months, but it cleared and was finished within 3 weeks. But I am new to mead so the clarity might not be enough for some people.

There is a hopped soft mead in Russia called Medovukha that is between 6-8%
They basically use arround 0.75kg of honey per 5L so arround 1lb per gal, boil it half an hour with the hops, some black tea and some lemon juice.
There are some tutorials on youtube, where you would wonder how can they use such dirty carboys:(

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=513978

I feel like I have a pretty solid 1 gallon recipe here. Used centennial hops, honey, apple juice, water and Belle Saison yeast. Took about 2 weeks to finish, cold crashed for 48 hours, primed with honey and bottle conditioned for another 2 weeks. Tastes fantastic. Have a 3 gallon batch of it going now that is now done fermenting (week 2) but is probably going to need another week for clearing.

Tastes great young but I think if it conditioned for a month ot would be even better but none of my bottles lasted that long. I have done a few hopped meads so far including the hopped saison cyser, a red radish saison acer-cyser (with belle saison) and a black raspberry acer with us-05.

Going to try a lower abv session brew of the hopped saison cyser next after the smoked maple saison, a house amber, and a graff that i'm working on.

Back