Graff: substitute ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read over in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

That the guy stops fermentation around 1.010 because all of the fruit juices are 100% fermentable.

This is exactly what happened with my cider, not a lot of flavour at all. So I think next time I try this I'm going to try and stop it with a cold crash a little early and see how it goes. If it works I'll give it a bash with some fresh fruit, but if not I'll just keep backsweetening because I know it works!

Just curious if anyone else tried this, or if the original owner has tried it again. Did anyone try to add any hops? I know it is an old thread but figured other had to have found this too.

% LB OZ
76% 4 0 Oats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett)
19% 1 0 Golden Naked Oats
05% 0 4 Oats, Flaked

White Labs English Cider (love the stuff!)

Mashed and boiled down to 1 gallon. Combined with 4 gallons of quality organic unfiltered pasteurized apple juice (mostly because the fancy juice costs an extra dollar but comes with a great 1 gallon jug).

? days primary
? days secondary
(Will update these when I have my notebook handy)

Bottled today and primed with honey. When I sampled it this morning it was delicious: neither sweet nor tart, with lots of apple flavor and some beer-like flavor as well. No off-flavors or odd aftertaste at all. I would say it's an overall better (though obviously different) product than any commercially available cider I know of. My girlfriend (the gluten-sensitive one) had probably 2-3 oz, thought it was delicious and had no reaction at all.

I was a little :tank: when I put it into primary and so have no OG, and didn't bother with FG this morning. I can tell you that my juice was 1.045, for all the good that does you. My original projections were OG of 1.064 and FG of 1.010, but I highly doubt I was that efficient. I'm sure this will go pretty fast and I'll do my homework properly next time.

Latest posts

Back