Weldless brew stand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about elsewhere in the country, but a crap ton and a half of this unistrut type material is always being dropped off at the scrap yards around here. A lot of light duty warehouse space has recently become vacant due to the economy and I guess they used it for shelving units.

I picked up ten 10' sticks of the heavy U-shaped stuff and a bucket full of connector hardware for about $36.

mccasters website Hates my cell phone!

the parts are 2 1/4 x 1 1/2 for the horizontal pieces.

can anyone tell me if the website states a thickness or gauge?

thanks,
sean

I don't know about elsewhere in the country, but a crap ton and a half of this unistrut type material is always being dropped off at the scrap yards around here. A lot of light duty warehouse space has recently become vacant due to the economy and I guess they used it for shelving units.

I picked up ten 10' sticks of the heavy U-shaped stuff and a bucket full of connector hardware for about $36.
Man I think we might have to have you back on the podcast soon...:D

-Joe

I finished my stand about 2 weeks ago and put it to the test last weekend. Held up well, guess I am a handyman after all. I'll post pics soon, waiting on a few accessories to finish it off. I was most happy about not having to lift the kettle full of boiling wort.

Definitely loving this.

Having recently moved to a new city, I'm particularly fond of the fact that this could be easily torn down to take up less space in the truck when the time to move again comes.

Here are some pics from todays progress

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Where did you find the green stuff on mc masters site?
on the same page as the other stuff

So here is my take on the green stuff. The hole pattern is different......On the Galvanized stuff it looks like you have long notches and holes, on this stuff it is a hole then an extended float hole. This means its hard to align everything, and my castors won't fit unless I drill (Going to look at other castors at harbor freight). I used the 54" long as a baseline but due to this hole pattern I kept everything on center hole cuts so think it was 53.75. Lastly cut it with a chop saw I nearly killed my self trying to cut it with an angle grinder.

Think im gonna use these burners: http://www.agrisupply.com/bg-high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-/p/64494/cn/5400000/

Should I used a 30psi regulator? I sounds like the low pressure puts out more heat, but 30 psi might be needed to fire all three burners off the same tank....? Is this true? Also what is the diameter of the black pipes people are using? Never plumbed any gas before, but I'm a copper soldering ninja ;). Are those black pipes lead, or iron?

Think im gonna use these burners: http://www.agrisupply.com/bg-high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-/p/64494/cn/5400000/

Should I used a 30psi regulator? I sounds like the low pressure puts out more heat, but 30 psi might be needed to fire all three burners off the same tank....? Is this true? Also what is the diameter of the black pipes people are using? Never plumbed any gas before, but I'm a copper soldering ninja ;). Are those black pipes lead, or iron?

1/2" black pipe. 30 psi will work fine. 20 psi will work also.

Stand is built and fired it up for the first time last night!! Inaugural 10 gal AG batch is Saturday.

fbs_brew.jpg

burners.jpg

Here is my latest contraption...still need to mount the gas pipe and casters, but we're coming along.

BrewerRick-

I will be mounting my burners and pump exactly as you have. Did you order additional angle iron or did you have enough left over from the amount specified in the original plans?

like the look of the green metal, I'm building one of these shortly (working on the keggles now) how does the green paint hold up after use?

Just ordered my metal this morning.:ban: Anybody care to post the length cuts of the pieces? I need all the help I can get:drunk::eek:

BrewerRick-

I will be mounting my burners and pump exactly as you have. Did you order additional angle iron or did you have enough left over from the amount specified in the original plans?

Sorry, I haven't been on for a while. I did order an extra 6 ft. piece and then had some scrap left over to lower the support piece.

BrewerRick

I thought I was on my way as I built the stand last night. I was just waiting for the burners to come from agrisupply. I ordered last week and nothing. I called to check on an eta and, after being on hold for about 10 minutes, was told they were out of stock and didn't know when they would get more. They said I should just cancel my order. (Edit) Anyone have a recommendation on another burner? How about one I can pick up at a store?

I sprang for the Hurricane burners. For now I'm on propane, but I can change the jet and go natural gas. If you are looking for something cheaper try this or this at Amazon.

Thanks for the info. I called one of the agrisupply stores and was told they actually do have the burners in stock. Called customer service and am waiting for them to get back to me on overnighting them.

Edit: They are overnighting without the extra charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back