Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forgot the photo

13275365978220.jpg

Cream ale with Russian River and Fantomè Saison Dregs in secondary.
11829b23.jpg

Jim beam bourbon barreled RIS with a multitude of built up cultures from Trinity, Russian River, jolly pumpkin, goose island, fantome Saison and Rodenbach.
f409e50e.jpg

boostsr20 said:
Cream ale with Russian River and Fantomè Saison Dregs in secondary.

Jim beam bourbon barreled RIS with a multitude of built up cultures from Trinity, Russian River, jolly pumpkin, goose island, fantome Saison and Rodenbach.

That second photo could be framed, seriously

I have some great pellicles, but I can never take very good pictures.
For example boostsr20 how did you take such a nice picture?
Can anyone please share their tips and tricks?

I racked my first ever sour (a Flanders Red) to secondary last night and was pleased to see this upon opening the fermenter:

Pellicle.jpg

I have some great pellicles, but I can never take very good pictures.
For example boostsr20 how did you take such a nice picture?
Can anyone please share their tips and tricks?

It was a massive pita as it's in a Carboy that reflects light no matter what. I used a canon xs dslr with a flash light scoop. Basically set the lens right on the neck of the Carboy and manually focused with the light on, then turned out the light and snapped it.

I had this I infection happen a week ago. It had a long lag for the fermentation to start then 2 weeks later it looked like this. I had to dump this one. What type of infection is this?

image-4279303298.jpg

exels said:
I had this I infection happen a week ago. It had a long lag for the fermentation to start then 2 weeks later it looked like this. I had to dump this one. What type of infection is this?

A good one :)

That's a gorgeous infection. Looks like some sort of biodome lunar base!

Now I need to go home and take pictures of my 7 month old pLambic to post!

6898985595_84019f5a17_z.jpg

6898977735_270b270c2c_z.jpg

No-boil, Black Berliner, aging with dates. The yeast is a mix of Bugfarm 4, and a huge amount of dregs, 30 bottles or so. It has a lot of Jolly Pumpkin character and some Cantillon character soon. Shot a week after racking and adding the fruit. It was soured in primary for 3 or 4 months.

what kind of temps are all these infections at? Normal sacc temps (60-70ish)?

I don't think they're infections if it was intentional. Besides I HATE the word infection when referring to beer. It's not like the beer is has a metabolic system where a parasitic organism has colonized and caused adverse effects. I might bend to the term contamination if it was unintentional (like I suspect the Boulevard Choco Ale recall is).

My stuff is mostly soured at normal temps, but I've had pellicles grow in the fridge.

Yeah, mold freaks me out. Never had any directly in contact with my beer. I think you can rack out from under it though, but you'd want to be careful.

I can't wait till I have something to post in here.

One more week and my blonde will be ready for RR dregs...

[im]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7204/6898985595_84019f5a17_z.jpg[/img]

[im]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/6898977735_270b270c2c_z.jpg[/img]

No-boil, Black Berliner, aging with dates. The yeast is a mix of Bugfarm 4, and a huge amount of dregs, 30 bottles or so. It has a lot of Jolly Pumpkin character and some Cantillon character soon. Shot a week after racking and adding the fruit. It was soured in primary for 3 or 4 months.

whoa. i recently tapped a dark sour saison that I had on a second gen saison/sour mix yeast cake with fantome dregs for six months, and the dehusked carafa II went perfectly with the complex, fruity funk and mellow sourness the bugs dished out. would be interested in your results on this one, how long are you planning on waiting before bottling/kegging?

i have to start posting here again... missing it... brewing an imperial rye saison tonight and will be funking a piece of it in a 1 gal container for giggles and grins.

tonight i'm also bottling a sour caramel wheat (what a beer!), a wild yeast wheat (meh, it's okay, i'm over the wild yeast thing) and a plain ol' belgian brown session ale (why? i hate session beers) - lambic is getting bottled soon (nearing 18 months) and i have a few others ready and able... my flanders red has been in barrel for 9 months now and i'm going to open it for the first time tonight and will post a pic later... (i'm nervous)

keep this thread rockin' it's inspiring...

had to check out my oud bruin today... been sitting in a barrel for six months... took gravity and it hasn't budged which surprised me... rip your face off sour. lots of stone fruit flavors (cherry, apricot) and not too dry... frankly it's too sour for what i was going for.

thinking it's ready to bottle...

had to check out my oud bruin today... been sitting in a barrel for six months... took gravity and it hasn't budged which surprised me... rip your face off sour. lots of stone fruit flavors (cherry, apricot) and not too dry... frankly it's too sour for what i was going for.

thinking it's ready to bottle...

You could always keg it, brew another batch to be less sour and blend the two together. A $40 keg is a good investment for something like this I think. I will be picking a couple up over time myself for eventual blending reserves.

Back