High gravity beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danbreeze

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. I have a 3 gallon glass carboy sitting around and was thinking about experimenting with some high gravity beers. I brew partial mash now but will be doing AG in the near future.

My question is: When I do an AG batch, is it smart to just add DME or LME to up the gravity, or should I use other adjuncts?

DME and LME are just fine..... adding adjuncts are good to. i love a beer with a pound or two of honey in it.

it kinda depends on what style of high gravity brew you're doing. some IIPAs and belgians will benefit if you just feed them a simple sugar like dextrose or sucrose to get them to attenuate. plus, that is cheaper than using more malt extract.

Increasing the grian bill, adding DME/LME, or adding adjunct sugars are all valid ways to create high gravity brews. Which one or ones you use depends entirely on what you're trying to make. Too much DME/LME can lead to a cloying sweetness, and high quantities of simple sugars can lead to a dry harsh alcohol flavor.

Technically if you add DME/LME to an "All Grain" brew isn't it a Partial Mash? ;0)

no, in a partial mash a large percentage of the fermentables are from extract. what the OP is asking is adding less than a pound or so to get his OG up to spec.

I meant adding to the wort after the boil before pitching the yeast as opposed to boiling it like with a partial mash.

if you add it after the boil make sure to let it sit for a few minutes to sanitize the extract.

Anyone who considers AG a holy cause would never do this.

Extra fermentables should be added before flame-out to sanitize and minimize the impact on utilization. if you have cooled the wort and are not satisfied with the gravity, mix wort with extract/sugar 1:1 and heat to 165F for 15 minutes, cool and add back to the fermenter.

Back