My volume went up 2 liters!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Setesh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my fifth batch of beer, and it is a big Belgian Quad. OG was 1102. I topped up to 19 liters in the primary and pitched 2 vials of WLP500. Fermentation is complete now (FG 1024) and it is conditioning. What I don't understand is now the volume reads 21 liters. Is this because those yeasties multiplied enough to take up 2 more liters in volume? If so, that's a lot of yeasties.

Hello,

This is my fifth batch of beer, and it is a big Belgian Quad. OG was 1102. I topped up to 19 liters in the primary and pitched 2 vials of WLP500. Fermentation is complete now (FG 1024) and it is conditioning. What I don't understand is now the volume reads 21 liters. Is this because those yeasties multiplied enough to take up 2 more liters in volume? If so, that's a lot of yeasties.

Actually, that sounds about right for a beer that big.... :)

Well, the density of water is 1 kg/liter...

An OG of 1.102 means your original density is 1.102 kg/liter. You said it was 19 liters, so your mass is

( 1.102 kg/liter ) * (19 liters) = 20.94 kg

During fermentation, your mass is pretty much constant. So if the density decreases and the mass stays the same, then the volume must increase. So with an FG of 1.024, your density is 1.024 kg/liter. Then, your final volume is:

( 20.94 kg ) / (1.024 kg/liter) = 20.45 liters

Your increase in volume:

( 20.45 liters ) - ( 19 liters) = 1.45 liters

So, you should expect an increase of about 1.5 liters during fermentation of such a large beer.

Well, the density of water is 1 kg/liter...

An OG of 1.102 means your original density is 1.102 kg/liter. You said it was 19 liters, so your mass is

( 1.102 kg/liter ) * (19 liters) = 20.94 kg

During fermentation, your mass is pretty much constant. So if the density decreases and the mass stays the same, then the volume must increase. So with an FG of 1.024, your density is 1.024 kg/liter. Then, your final volume is:

( 20.94 kg ) / (1.024 kg/liter) = 20.45 liters

Your increase in volume:

( 20.45 liters ) - ( 19 liters) = 1.45 liters

So, you should expect an increase of about 1.5 liters during fermentation of such a large beer.

Thanks JeffersonJ, it makes perfect sense when you think of it that way. :mug:
Brewing is so neat!

Back