Yeast from micro brewery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I can yeast from my local microbrewery.when they rack out of primary they give away yeast pack to homebrewers.brewer says its way more active than anything I can buy and it wont give off taste of beer that was brewing. he also said always get liquid yeast its more active.any thoughts?(im making sierra nevada pa clone from extract)

It won't be any more or less active than any properly handled yeast you have at home. Also, search this forum and others on debates of liquid vs. dried (most, including me, find no difference, assuming everything is done properly). I say go for it, but don't expect magic. It's yeast.

I have gotten yeast from a local microbrewery.
I admit, It took off faster than any dry packet or some slurry mix's i have done.
Good ferment and tasted great.

There are very few yeast strains NOT available to us as homebrewers that would be exclusive to microbreweries. They may have, through adaption/mutation come up with a house strain, but I doubt, since their are giving it away that it is a proprietary strain unless of course it's rogue, and you are getting pacman slurry, but even that can be bought or harvested.

Many of the micro breweries brewing ales, use the chico strain, some that I know in Michigan use 1338 Euro Ale, but an equal number of micros probably use fermentis or Danstar dry yeasts, like we do, just in huge quantities.

BUT the benefit of the free yeast (besides being free) is that they will have pitched huge amount of yeast meaning a huge cell count. And just as when we pitch onto a yeastcake from our previous batches the yeast is going to be extremely active, quick starting and tenacious.

So enjoy the gift, but you need to find out which strain it is, and whether it is an ale, or lager strain, of something like Pacman or Cry havoc that can be used either way.

Back