Electric or gas for 25 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
I want to build a system based on the brutus 10 but use 25 gallon pots instead. I like the idea of going electric but wouldn't think a 5500W element would bring that to a boil. So then the question is do you put in dual elements or stick with gas? This location of this system might be indoors so the thought of electric is very appealing. If you did have to two elements how would you daisy chain those together? Also I would think that perhaps in the HLT and the MLT I would only need one element since I am not bringing water to a boil and just maintaining temps for the most part in the MLT. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

With 25 gallon pots, I am assuming you want to make 15 gallon batches. I used to make 15 gallon batches (started the boil with about 20 gallons of wort) using a 25 gallon pot from northern brewer. I had two 4500 watt elements in this BK. It was more than enough power. I ran it on 60-65% power after the wort came to a boil. You will need a 50 amp gfi breaker to run this system.

15 or 17, I am trying to brew as much as I can in one shot without breaking the bank. I have found a deal one some 25G pots that would work and wanted to use electric if possible. How do you have your elements controlled? Are they both on the same controller?

I use only one 4500 w ULD in mine and I brew 15 gals. and have had no problems with starting a good boil fast. I start with 19 gal of wort.

My next brewery plan will be able to handle 25 gallons in the MLT for Stouts plus have 15 gallons in the corny's after fermenting. The ability to handle a big grain bill with 15 gaoolon on down to 5 gallon batches. Why limit myself from the start of the build?
I was planning on two 5.5KW elements in all three keggles. Start heating with 11KW, near the set temp switch over from the HLT to the MLT and repeat again at 11KW of heating. Once the MLT is near strike temp switch to one 5.5KW element in the HLT and MLT each to come up and maintain their set temps. This all controlled by the BCS460 unit that can handle up to 6 heating outputs signals to the SSRD's. This was my plan with all the keggles insulated for quick heating with 11KW the maximum heating at any given time not counting the pump, BCS unit and any lighting controls of additional wattage. The same with the boil keggle starting with 11KW then maintain the boil with one 5.5KW element. After going thru a few friends propane, natural gas as well underpowered electric systems I chose to go with higher wattages. Waiting for long temp increases isn't what I call a fun brew day with low wattage element systems I want to brew not watch the sun cross the sky waiting for temps to rise.
I already have the free cords and the power so why not? Better to have extra power than under powered and unhappy with your time and investment brew project. JMO here.

I saw that BCS460 and almost **** a brick, that thing looks awesome and the price seemed pretty reasonable plus I think it would be easier to program.

I saw that BCS460 and almost **** a brick, that thing looks awesome and the price seemed pretty reasonable plus I think it would be easier to program.

I'm quite happy being an owner of a BCS 460 when they first came out as I was looking for a control system plus Adam is on this forum is a prince of a person with any support you need with his system. I will not have my 460 tied up reading the fermenters temp it can be used as. I want the brewery at one house with the 460 as a single stand alone unit with the fermenters at the other house in refrigerators with the LM34 sensors measuring the internal temps.
Just up and down load then disconnect your computer from the breweries 460 unit makes for a dry computer and 460 unit one less cable to be damaged. What more can you ask for? Not only 6 outputs you can tap off and feed for other SSR's for your pumps in recirculating a HERMS system.
Repeat or alter at any time. On the fermenters I use a LM34 temperature sensors as a stand alone system. Derrin Roe on this forum got me started on the LM34 sensors besides his talent on manufacturing other stainless items he has welded up for us homebrewers.
From natural gas, Propane (too costly) or electric heating plus from basic hand valve heat control to a NASA fully automated brewery of 100% stainless. How fat is your wallet, needs and wants is the question? Build what makes your happy and proud of your own system filling your own needs.

Latest posts

Back