All Grain Cooler System Feedback....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamgardner

Reaction score
He also sayes that the fittings accept 3/8" OD tubing, that is TINY... 1/2" ID is standard on most brew systems for flow.

That stainless braid would be pretty miserable for fly sparging. I wouldn't buy it myself, but if you don't want to build it yourself it might work well enough. See if he'll sell you one cheaper without the sparge arm then just batch sparge with it.

I have one of those exact coolers though, it was like $20... bought it for camping.

I mean, for someone that does not want to DIY, it is ok.

BUT I have one issue with it. He is using a braid to drain the MLT, and he is fly sparging with that sparge ring. Umm, that is bass ackwards

Really, building a cooler system only requires a couple crescent wrenches and about 1 hour of your time... If you plan on batch sparging, you really don't even need a HLT. Pol is right that the system posted isn't set up for fly sparge. A batch sparge system could be built for less than half what that guy is asking.

As to the 3/8" comment; 3/8" is more than adequate for a gravity 3 tier. The only reason to use 1/2" is to compensate for a mag drive pump's inability to create suction on it's input. Well that or if you have a 30 gallon setup :)

Re-read the ad, it sayes 3/8 OD components... most people use 3/8" ID components that use 3/8". There is a difference.

Thanks for all the feedback...I think I will just buy the components and build it myself...I was hesitant due to the fact I am restoring an older home and time is not readily available...but I have the tools and knowhow so.....Thanks again for the feedback!!

Thanks for all the feedback...I think I will just buy the components and build it myself...I was hesitant due to the fact I am restoring an older home and time is not readily available...but I have the tools and knowhow so.....Thanks again for the feedback!!

I converted my cooler in about 15 minutes, so you might even be able to do it while your strike water is heating...

Back