Shake the carbination into the Keg - Does it affect Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffsta

Reaction score
I have read that, after kegging, I can jack up the pressure in my keg and simply shake the hell out of it to get it carbonated immediately. Obviously, I would purge all the oxygen out.

Im sure this works, but are there any disadvantages to doing this? Why wouldnt everyone do it every time, rather than waiting a week for it to carbonate slowely?

I've never noticed any difference in flavor, regardless of carbonation method. IF you wait two weeks after carbonation. Why not shake? Why? I never carbonate and put on tap immediately.

There are plenty of reasons to not "accelonate". See I just made up that word.

Elevated pressure is unpredictable, especially when shaking. If you are targeting a specific level of carbonation, the set and forget method at the chart pressure is best.

I'm going to guess the hurry to carbonate is already associated with a less-than patient aging. Therefore, the beer it going to get better over the course of a 2-3 week carb period. There seems to be a period of about 3 days after a quick carbonation where the beer tastes pretty bad from excess carbonic acid. I'm not a chemist, but it's the best explanation I've come up with.

Im sure this works, but are there any disadvantages to doing this? Why wouldnt everyone do it every time, rather than waiting a week for it to carbonate slowely?

That's the way I do it 99% of the time. I have found no disadvantage in terms of flavor. It is harder to hit the exact carb level you want, but I don't consider it a big deal.

The only reason I ask is because I want to try some of the beer in a day or two after kegging, just to see where it stands. I will allow it it age and carb under the proper psi (per the chart) after... Am I correct is assuming that, lets say I "Accelonate" (great word) the beer at 40 psi, then put it in my fridge at 12 psi. If I try in in a day or two, it will be carbonated. If I release the pressure in it, and let it sit at 12 psi, wont it come out at the right level? Or, have I already carbonated it so much, that I would have to release the pressure several times before I set it at 12 psi (or whatever the proper temp/psi level is for that beer)?

The latter part. If you over carb and want to back off, you have to vent the headspace. After a short time, that headspace will repressurize from CO2 coming out of solution. Vent again. Etc.

The only reason I ask is because I want to try some of the beer in a day or two after kegging, just to see where it stands. I will allow it it age and carb under the proper psi (per the chart) after... Am I correct is assuming that, lets say I "Accelonate" (great word) the beer at 40 psi, then put it in my fridge at 12 psi. If I try in in a day or two, it will be carbonated. If I release the pressure in it, and let it sit at 12 psi, wont it come out at the right level? Or, have I already carbonated it so much, that I would have to release the pressure several times before I set it at 12 psi (or whatever the proper temp/psi level is for that beer)?

You'll have to keep releasing gas if you overcarbonate. You can damage beer like that, too. Even if you get your beer down to an appropriate level after overcarbing, you could be stuck with a bunch of carbonic acid (Edit: even though the co2 is released when you de-pressurize, the carbonic acid is left behind). It will create an acidic, almost metallic flavor that is less than pleasant.

Why don't I? Most of the time, my beer is a little green going into the keg. Cold conditioning while its on the gas really cleans up flavors and clears the beer up. Letting it carb slowly forces me to drink it when it hits its peak. Its also too easy to over carb.

Back