Hard lemonade question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spriggan486

Reaction score
Ok so I started a batch of hard lemonade about 5 days ago. I haven't seen any real fermentation activity, and my hydrometer broke, so I haven't been able to take a reading.

The recipe is as follows.

10 cans of frozen lemonade concentrate

5lbs sugar

Montrachet Wine yeast.

Yesterday I pitched some yeast nutrient and yeast energizer into the bucket.

Today when I got home from work, I opened the bucket and found that there is a somewhat thick foamy layer on top of the lemonade....

Is this normal? I have never seen this kind of reaction with montrachet.

Is it possibly infected?

Thanks.

Sounds like fermentation to me! I get that reaction with Red Star Champagne yeast, too. Can you smell lemonade? My limeade has been going for 5 days and the aroma is divine!

Go ahead and sanitize a big spoon, and stir it up. It should have lots of bubbles, and be making bubbling noises when you do it. (Oxygen is actually good for it at this point- it's good to stir it up in primary). It should be bubbly and almost sound like Rice Krispies!

Thanks Yooper! I opened up the bucket, and sure enough, it sounded like rice krispies!

I stirred it up just like you suggested!

So glad i finally got this batch going!

Latest posts

Back