Need advice with natural gas burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I currently have a grill that is connected to the natural gas line from the house. I own a turkey fryer and want to somehow connect it to the natural gas line. I stopped by my local "Propane and propane related accessories" store. The guys there said that there isn't enough pressure to use a big burner like a turkey fryer. A propane tank is regulates to 10 lb and natural gas is only .5 - 1 lb.? This is confusing because I can use all 5 of the burners on my stove at the same time. If you combine all the gas out of 5 stove burners I'm sure it would be enough to power a turkey fryer burner.....:confused:
So here is what I would like to achieve....I want to build/buy a burner out on my deck to brew when it gets nice. I would like to have a quick disconnect so I can put the stuff away. I would like to tee off of the grill that is already attached...any suggestions would help.

You need a burner that has an appropriately sized orifice for natural gas. You can buy them for some burners, others can be converted by drilling them out. I've done both with reasonably good results...my HLT burner is a propane model that I drilled out, and my main kettle uses a Hurricane burner with a replacement orifice from Williams Brewing.

They are both fed from a bbq grill disconnect as you described, split with a simple T fitting. Works great!

[youtube]U5UAvgP-pyY[/youtube]

I use 2 150,000 Btu NG jet burners on my set up. Line size is 3/4 inch to get maximum BTU. I would just buy a new burner and keep propane for portability. I use a 3/4" flexible gas hose with QD fittings. Wouldn't change a thing. Can boil 20 gallons in less than 50 minutes with 2 hour boils on Imperials with never running out. Go NG and you will love no tanks. Just basic pipe plumbinh also.

I use a 3/4" flexible gas hose with QD fittings. Wouldn't change a thing. Can boil 20 gallons in less than 50 minutes with 2 hour boils on Imperials with never running out. Go NG and you will love no tanks. Just basic pipe plumbinh also.

Got any pics of those burners? I'm always curious to see what others are using with NG. I tried 23 tip jet burners first, but had trouble getting them to burn cleanly...probably gas supply/pressure issues.

Yeah, just simple plumbing. Exercise common sense, check for leaks with soapy water, and it's no more dangerous than propane. Hell, it's probably safer! I wish I could go 3/4", but the gas stub in my backyard is 1/2" pipe. The grill hose and quick-disconnects also restrict flow somewhat, but I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Last summer I also replaced my grill with a natural gas model...I sure don't miss those trips to get my propane tanks filled!

I have to control my jet burner, I think it's a 23 tip burner, with a ball valve. My set up really improved when I dropped the burner tip to 14" below my kettle. I have wind block sheeting around the legs and let it rip. Most people using the jet burners have them way too close to kettles. You need to let the flame extend all the wy w/o bending all over the bottom of the kettle. I have a set up like the cooker at tejassmokers.com I bought my flexible hose and QD fittings from them. They have 1/2" sizes. Could have save some locally, but it was easier when aI first got started. If I knew how to post a pic I would show you, but I don't. Looking at thier set up changed my boil times dramatically.

I bought the burner and valve for natural gas directly from Hurricane Products. They will not sell directly the burner in a frame as they have an agreement not to but will sell the burner and valve.

The burner and valve including shipping to Texas was $43.69.
LPCAST10-65KBTU.jpg

On these you mount so the flame is about 4" from the bottom of the pot.

Do you think this will work? I think it's the same pic as KopyKat posted...not sure though
HurricaneProducts.net - 10" Low Pressure Burner
I could get this and the conversion valve. I think that's all I need. Maybe I should just tee the line and get 2 smaller burners. How many burners can you run at a time? At least 2? I think I feel a DIY project coming on.........

Back