slow lager fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed 10 gal of a bock yesterday with an OG of 1.060. I split into two, 5 gallon primaries and pitched 1 with wyeast (activator) bavarian lager 2206 and the other with re-hydrated dry saflager W-34/70. I pitched around 73F according to the directions and moved the carboys to the freezer at 50F figuring fermentation would begin before they cooled down. After 11 hrs there was no visible signs of fermentation and the carboys were cooled to 50F.

Question: This is my first lager. I'm used to seeing visible fermentation beginning within 4-6 hrs. I was also carefull to aerate the wort. Does fermentation begin slower with lager yeast? How long should I wait for fermentation to start before bringing back up the temp to the 70's and agitating the yeast?

Does fermentation begin slower with lager yeast?

A lot slower. Even when I repitched a slurry, it took almost 48 hours.

Next time you use liquid lager yeast, make a big starter. That will get you closer to an adequate pitching rate and give you an idea of the lag time to expect.

You used two packets of Saflager, I hope?

I always pitch lagers cold(er than target ferment temp). This reduces ester production during the growth phase and the colder wort will hold more oxygen.

I always pitch lagers cold(er than target ferment temp). This reduces ester production during the growth phase and the colder wort will hold more oxygen.

+1. If the lager yeast directions state to pitch warm like that, they're wrong... sort of. They're reasoning for stating that has good intentions, but the fact remains that the cleanest lagers are produced with lots of yeast and pitched cold.

One Wyeast pack and one dry yeast pack is not enough for 5 gallons each. It will have a long lag time and more production of "flavor-active" compounds (diacetyl, esters, etc.). You have the option now of either waiting it out or pitching more yeast. Whatever you do, I would leave it at 50°F and then do a diacetyl rest towards the end of primary fermentation.

thanks for your response. all is good. When I came home last night (about 24 hrs after pitching) there were bubbles coming out of the air lock...and this morning things were really starting to kick in.

Back