Help selectin Munton's extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avillax

Reaction score
Hi, I am from Mexico and I bought my first homebrewing kit, however there is only one online store that specializes in homebrewing, and the prices are quite high.

By luck I finally found a direct muntons dry malt extract distributor near my home!.

This is the list of malts they sell here:

Spraymalt Extra Light The lightest,mildest flavour Spraymalt
Spraymalt Light White colour, mild flavour
Spraymalt Amber Cream colour, full flavour
Spraymalt Medium Tan colour, high flavour
Spraymalt Extra Dark Medium brown colour, very full flavour
Spraymalt Super Dark Dark brown colour, intense flavour
Spraymalt Diastatic Diastatic, light colour, mild flavour
Spraymalt Wheat White colour, light flavour
Spraymalt Hopped Light Light colour, gentle hopped flavour
Spraymalt Hopped Dark Light brown colour, strong hopped flavour

I don't know which one to buy. Hops are extremely pricey in the homebrew store as well, so I was particulary interested on the last two malts on the list which are already hopped.

Can I make beer singly out of those two, which style of beer?, Do I need to add more hops?

That's a tough one. All the recipes I have ever read which used hopped extract call for the addition of hops. Give it a shot and see what happens. Do some experimenting with ratios of strong/gentle/unhopped and see what you get. I would start with small batches of only one flavor of exctract per and see the individuals taste like.
Welcome to the forum and a new way of life!

Some of the guys here rave about hopsdirect.com, maybe that's an option for some cheap hops...

avillax said:
Spraymalt Hopped Light Light colour, gentle hopped flavour
Spraymalt Hopped Dark Light brown colour, strong hopped flavour

I don't know which one to buy. Hops are extremely pricey in the homebrew store as well, so I was particulary interested on the last two malts on the list which are already hopped.

Can I make beer singly out of those two, which style of beer?, Do I need to add more hops?
You can make beer out of just hopped extract, but it's hard to say how pleased you'll be with it. If that's all you can easily get, then go for it. The style of beer you make will really depend on the yeast you use...you could make a stout, or a strong english ale, or a scottish ale with the dark spraymalt, or an american pale ale or amber ale with the light.

Once you're ready to venture on to steeping grains tho, you'll want to buy nothing but the extra light spraymalt...that will provide your fermentables, and the grains will provide the color you need.

Welcome to the forums...I think you're the first member from Mexico I've seen...except that all of us down here in Tejas are really in Mexico, aren't we? ;)

I agree with El P - try the hopped extract (probably the light at first) to get familiar with brewing technique. My first beer was a red ale, basically a can of hopped extract to which I added some flavor hops and a bit more dry extract (pale), and it came out fine.

As for hops and other supplies, lots of internet vendors ship internationally, such as www.morebeer.com.

Back