Gravity reading...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The directions from my brew kit has two ways to ferment it. single stage and two stage. Since i've been reading here, i'm gonna go with the two stage.

I know you should wait a week or so to rack into the secondary. But the direction say, this is for the two stage. " Start in your primary fermenter. after 3-4 day check hydro reading. If it has fallen to hlaf the OG reading, rack to secondary". It's been 4 days. Bubbling has stopped. I wanted to check the gravity. My OG was
1.050. When i just checked it it was 1.019. I tasted it. It smelled like beer. It had a bitter taste and seemed strong...

I guess i dont really have a question, other than does this sound ok??

One more thing, the final gravity needs to be between 1.008- 1.012..Will it get there?

Leave it in the primary for at least 7 days, especially since you are not to your target SG yet. After 7 days, take hydrometer readings on consecutive days to determine when fermentation is complete, then you can rack to secondary (more properly referred to as a clearing tank). Leave the beer in secondary for at least 14 days.

Over time the bitter flavor will become more subdued (it's one of the main differences between a conditioned beer and a green beer).

1-2-3. I know that it's easy to get impatieint with your first few brews, but JadedDog is right. Leave it in primary for at least a week, the rack to secondary.

I've seen similar instructions, but have never figured out why you would want to take the batch off of the yeast so early in the fermentation. Racking half way through the ferment will only lengthen the process and increases your chances of a stuck ferment. There are good reasons to do this with wine (if you are fermenting on the skins, for instance), but I can't think of a single reason to do it with beer.

FG? I've had batches finish high, low and right on. As long as attenuation is at the minimum for the yeast, I don't worry about it.

Back