new keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I bought a keggle today from a guy on Craigslist who was using it as a seafood boil pot. Any way, there is some jagged metal where the top part of the keg was cut off/out. Should I pay someone to put a weld bead around this inside rim, or can I just grind this to make a flush surface?

Thanks for the info!

Not sure I completely understand just how jagged we're talking about... but I cut open two keggles with my Dremel... Then I used the same dremel with a grinding stone attachment to grind the rough edges

After I was done grinding, I took a sheet of sandpaper to the edges. THey feel all smooth now!

I had rough edges too after the top was cut out. Took a file and did my best to take all the rough edges off (we called them widow makers). After taking the rough edges off, then switched to sand paper pinched between fingers. In the end, there are no more widow makers.

I saw that keggle on CL but was hesitant since it was used as a seafood boiler.

i don't know how you guys did it... i tried a grinding stone and a rotary file on a drill and neither could really do the job.

i'm just going to take it to a metal fab shop... hoping they'll grind down with one of their mondo tools for like ten bucks or something. i can't imagine it taking more than a couple minutes with the right tools.

kmat: the guy said he only used it once a year or so ago and just never had time or inclination to do it again. i doesn't smell like seafood at all.

Flap-disc on a grinder, or even just a regular sandpaper disc on a grinder. Easy, but that assumes you have a grinder ;)

my first keg i cut with a dremmel and just hit the edge with a file and then some sand paper. I am sure you can take care of the rough spots with out much problem.

Back