base malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there really a difference between:

US 2 row Pale Malt vs. UK 2 row Pale Malt vs. US 6 Row Pale Malt

I know they say that UK 2 row has a nuttier flavor, but if I have a stout recipe that calls for say 4 lbs UK 2 row, but already have US 6 Row, am I really going to notice a difference in my finished beer?

Thanks

Is there really a difference between:

US 2 row Pale Malt vs. UK 2 row Pale Malt vs. US 6 Row Pale Malt

I know they say that UK 2 row has a nuttier flavor, but if I have a stout recipe that calls for say 4 lbs UK 2 row, but already have US 6 Row, am I really going to notice a difference in my finished beer?

Thanks

I can't tell you what you can taste and what you can't, that is up to you and your tastebuds. However, all you have to do is chew on a few barleycorns of British pale malt and then follow it with domestic pale malt to see what the difference is. Use what you have, the beer will still be good but it would certainly be better IMO with the UK malt.

6-row will give you more hot and cold break due to the high protein levels. The hazing problem won't be noticeable in a stout. The husks will give you more tannins, so be careful with mash pH.

Back