Extract Porter with pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a porter from extract using the following recipe. The recipe is loosely based on Sparrow Hawk Porter found on page 201 "The Joy of Homebrewing 3rd Ed.". I started out brewing all grain. This is the third beer I have brewed and my first extract brew.

Sparrow Hawk Porter

3.3 lbs Cooper's Dark LME
3.3 lbs Cooper's Amber LME
1 lb Munton's Amber DME
1 lb black patent malt
1 oz Perle pellet hops (60 mins)
.5 Perle pellet hops (20 mins)
1 oz Arentenian Cascade hops (3 mins)

Gently crushed and steeped black patent malt in 2 gallons of water 30 mins @150-155 degrees F
Added all extracts.
60 minute boil.
Transfered to 6.5 gallon carboy with 3 gallons of water waiting.

OG: 1.054

Also pictured is my Edwort's Bee Cave Bavarian Hefeweizen which i brewed last weekend.

IMGP3141.JPG

Looking forward to see how this turns out. We did a similar recipe last time, but used all Amber DME, and steeped Crystal and Chocolate instead of black patent. We used Northern Brewer for bittering and Willamette for aroma.

All and all it tasted great with a great head that made for easy drinking.

Actually the recipe i used calls for Northern Brewer hops for bittering and Tettenang for armomatics, but my local homebrew shop was out of both. I substituted Perle and Argentenian Cascade respectively. I will post pics of the finished product.

This recipe is a little hoppier than I like my porters.

I'm on batch three of my house porter. Similar concept:

6lbs Light LME
1/4 Lb Black Patent
3/4 Lb Chocolate malt
1/2 Lb Carapils

1 ounce Perle 9% (60)
No flavor hops
No aroma hops

I've done it with S-04 and S-05...both are good yeasts for this porter.

Please post when it's done! You might be able to convince me to add more hops to my porter.

will do. this recipe is described in the book as having a 'bittersweet' quality. So I do beleive it is on the bitter side of the spectrum for a porter.

A couple nights ago (2nd day of fermentation) the temp in my house dropped to 57 degrees;. The Krausen fell, fermentation lock bubbling went from strong and rapid to only maybe one bubble a minute overnight and has not rebounded to its previous ferocity. Warming up and aeration have had no affect. The gravity is only at 1.022. I'm hoping the yeast havn't been damaged and I was considering pitching about a quarter pack more yeast to get things going again. I am using Lallemand Windsor Dry Ale Yeast. Any advice on this?

Back