Beer & Gas Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarheel4985

Reaction score
Getting ready to order beer and gas lines for my keezer and was just wondering if there was any reason I shouldn't order these:

3/16 ID 5/16 OD for the beer line:
McMaster-Carr

1/4 ID 3/8 OD for the gas line:
McMaster-Carr

I know most people go with 7/16 OD for the beer line, but I'll be using 10' per keg so would I avoid foaming issues because of length even with less resistance? This line was less than half the cost of the 7/16 ($0.11/ft).

As for the gas line, is there any problem with this choice? I assumed the ID and OD don't matter as much as for the beer line, but I have 1/4" gas disconnects for the keg.

If these won't work I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible but I don't want to sacrifice quality. Thanks in advance.

Nope that should be fine. Most people use 3/16" ID beer line. As for Gas line, it doesnt matter, 1/4" should be fine and save you from having to buy Barbed 5/16" to 1/4" FFL and new disconnects with 1/4" Threads. ONly other thing is clamps. I started using oetiker clamps. You can aslo get them from McMaster, you'll need the crimping tool. I got mine for 8 bucks at kegconnection.

I already ordered 1/4" threaded disconnects for the gas and 3/16" threaded disconnects for the liquid. Will I be able to use 1/4 ID line for the CO2 with 1/4" disconnects or should I get 5/16 ID for the 1/4" disconnects?

Also, since I went with threaded instead of barbed do I still need clamps?

Thanks for the help.

I think all threaded disconnects only come in 1/4" MFL. If you are getting threaded disconnects you need to get the 1/4" FFL to Barb fittings which still require clamps, they fit 1/4" ID or 3/16" ID beer line. You only need the 1/4" FFL to 5/16" Barb if you are using 5/16" gas line, other wise just stick to the 1/4" FFL to 1/4" barb.

swivelNUTS.jpg

I use fuel injection hose clamps from my local auto parts store. They're not cheap, but they have the benefits of the oetiker clamps but don't need a special tool.

well the tool was a 8 dollare crimp tool. I think you can find a similiar tool snip at harbor freight.

A lot of people don't have any issues with PVC tubing, but if I pour a 2 ounce sample of beer after not having pulled any for a day I get a lot of off-flavors, either plastic taste or oxidation tastes. I'm now looking into getting Bev-Seal tubing from the Better-Bottle people. It has PET lining in it just like the better bottles.

well the tool was a 8 dollare crimp tool. I think you can find a similiar tool snip at harbor freight.

I understand. I'm just saying there's another option is all. And I think they work just as well. For the number that I use, the price isn't really an issue. And I'm at the auto parts store all the time anyway so for me it's convenient.

Latest posts

Back