Yeast Starter and Old Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I have two questions:

1. I am going to brew my first AG batch on Sat., probably 10 gallons. In the past I have used White Labs yeast and never had to make a starter. Can I just do the same thing with the white labs. Maybe just buy two yeast viles for each of the five gallon fermentors? Or is it really better to make a starter?

2. When I got my new AG system the prevoius owner gave me about 7 pounds of two row uncrushed grain that was in 25 lb bag originally. I have no idea how old it is, but I do now have a grain mill to crush it. Should I use it? What might be some problems I might have.

A starter is not absolutely mandatory, but it is certainly good brewing practice and in my experience it helps make better and more consistent beers. At the very least, it confirms that your liquid yeast is viable before you pitch it. Of course there are many other advantages, as you are probably already aware. It's not at all difficult, it just requires a bit more planning.

Taste a few of the grains...just pop them in your mouth, and chew. Do they taste stale, or strange in any way? They should have a nice pleasant, slightly sweet, clean cereal taste. If they taste fine, they'll be fine to brew with.

Back