moving a plant at the start of year 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I have a bine I planted last spring at my apartment, it is about 3ft tall right now. I think I will be moving in july and know I want to move the plant. any one got any ideas on how I should dig this up and transport it to another location?

That might be a problem by July. Cut the plant down to 5-6 feet & dig up about a one foot ball. Don't plan on any crop, as the temporary roots will be gone along with the head of the bine. If you try to keep the bine intact, there won't be enough roots to keep it going.

David sounds spot on.
July timeframe is probably gonna shoot your Aug/Sep harvest, but the roots will survive transplanting for next year.

I'd dig wide and deep. You can always cut back what you don't need but I'd get as much root as possible. One of the better ways of removing a plant (speaking from tree transplanting experience) would be to heavily soak the area you are planning on working and then removing the mud by hand. Keep adding water as you go so it can be gently removed from the roots. This will prevent much of the damage done by cutting roots with a spade/shovel. When done it should look like a medusa of roots which will allow for a quick recovery once transplanted. Take some of the soil and gently wrap the roots in burlap or some other oxygen/water permeable material (no plastic).

Since the hop plants are apparently so hardy you probably don't need to go through all this work, but it would allow for a healthier plant that could *possibly* allow for a minor crop harvest (if you don't cut the bines).

Best thing to do if you have the ability is to have the new area for the hop plant already setup. Support in place, soil aerated and compost/fertilized, etc, so that all you have to do is put the plant in. Evenly spread out the roots in a radial pattern so they quickly can get a foot hold and not compete for nutrients.

killian said:
I was also thinking of taking a cutting to start a new plant while I have the root ball out of the ground.

probably a good idea, get some Rooting Hormone at the garden store and some peat pellets and you'll have a viable plant before you know it I'm convinced. I haven't tried it specifically with a hop plant, but I have done it with several other plants of a variety I won't mention that is somewhat related to hops and it worked great.

Oh yeah, also, if you buy grains in a sack or can get an empty sack from your local home brewstore, hang onto one so you have something to put the root ball in when you dig it up. A gunny sack or grain sack is a great thing to transport a plant with established roots in.

latitude 42.860N. The longitude is -77.315W

I cant seem to find any frost info so I guess Im going to move it this week.

I got some rooting hormone and Im going to try to take a cutting.

I would move it as soon as possible.
I use Hormone and B vitamin Mixture called Hormanex.
I have used it with much sucsess with all kinds of plants.
Water the bine with Hormonex or a simmilar product. the day before the move. Then water the transplant in with more solution.

Bare rooting the bine might do more damage to the root system unless you are vary carefull and take your time. Some of the root structure is vary fine and delicate. You might find it easier and faster to take a rootball as large as you can disturbing as few roots as possible.

Have the new location ready before you dig up the bine. Lots of compost.Keepwell watered and you should be fine.

Good luck
Chardo

Back