oh no! not another is it infected? thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepartsmancometh

Reaction score
It is infected! I know that. I brewed NB's Oud Bruin kit a few years ago and pitched the recommended wyeast roeselare blend. Went through a suitably long primary, secondary, and then I racked it off the cake into a tertiary carboy for aging. This beer has been in carboy 3 for two years next week! :rockin:
M aging carboy is a 5 gallon, so its full up to the taper of the neck (figured it would minimize oxidation and whatnot, plus what the heck else can I do with a free 5 gallon carboy?)

so that's the story, here's the question. This is my first "wild" brew, and I am wondering how big an issue it would be if the carboy bung got knocked off? This carboy lives in a seldom used corner of my beer/guitar/man stuff room, but yesterday I was messing around in that corner to plug an amp in. I noticed this morning that the bung was on the floor (must have hit it with a cord), so it probably sat open for 20 - 22 hours.

I know it's infected with what I want, but are the "good" bugs resilient enough to keep other stuff from infecting it if it was open? any foreseen issues? I plan on bottling at the end of the month. I'll add pics from my phone shortly.

Here's where the carboy lives. The shirt serves two purposes, keeps the fermenter dark and keeps me from freaking out from the crazy wild crap in there.

ForumRunner_20120805_090423.jpg

Holy crap! I haven't looked at this in a long time. Is this normal? Looks gnarly.

ForumRunner_20120805_090608.jpg

no the best pic but it looks like normal kraussen from sacc fermentation if the beer tastes and smells clean it should be just fine

I know it's infected with what I want, but are the "good" bugs resilient enough to keep other stuff from infecting it if it was open? any foreseen issues? I plan on bottling at the end of the month. I'll add pics from my phone shortly.

You'll be fine. I had the same thing happen to my Flanders Red. Took 1st in a comp recently.

Also, I would like if you could take some pictures from farther away. It would help us all immensely. :mug:

It's bad! Bottle it and send it to me for proper bad batch disposal.. Looks great:mug: Does it seem like it's fermenting again? The yeast may have got a kick of some Oxygen to get them going again. Also, I give you props on a over 2 year fermentation.. I can barely wait 30 days before I'm ready to drink it.

airdog_47 said:
It's bad! Bottle it and send it to me for proper bad batch disposal.. Looks great:mug: Does it seem like it's fermenting again? The yeast may have got a kick of some Oxygen to get them going again. Also, I give you props on a over 2 year fermentation.. I can barely wait 30 days before I'm ready to drink it.

I don't think its actually restarting, just a few surface bubbles. You should have seen it at 6 months! Ive seen moldy cheese that looked prettier, it was pretty cool/crazy looking.

Thanks for the replies everybody, I was just worried that my two years of time could be ruined by a stupid bung.

I didn't read this thread right. Sorry. I am surprised you didn't get any pelicle. You must be really good about not taking samples.

Back