First batch of beer - Found out the kit expired in 02/2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granty

Reaction score
Hey, I have been reading a lot on these forums to gather general opinions and information, but I have a specific situation I would appreciate some guidance on please :)

Morgans Saas Pilsner
Morgans Lager yeast (no specific expiration date noted on yeast)
1KG Dextrose
Primary: 4/10/2011 (SG 1038)
Secondary: 4/17/2011 (SG 1015)
20 degrees (68) constant

SG for past 4 days 1010 (kit says to bottle at 1005)

I thought I would be ready to bottle this weekend using 1-2-3 as a guideline. I felt that this fermentation was slower than it should be (also took around 28 hours to start, not the end of the world, but sluggish). I looked at the can I got, and turns out it expired in Feb. I assume the exp date is is mainly for the yeast? When I take the SG gravity in the thief, the beer "looks" fully carbonated...not sure if this is normal at this point lol.

So I have since put on a batch of wine and another extract kit. For the wine I used yeast nutrient and its been fermented very nicely. Since I had it, I decided to put a small amount of nutrient in the 2nd batch of beer as well (just 1 teaspoon for the whole batch). Excellent fermentation again.

I am having good thoughts about yeast nutrient, so I decided to put a tsp in the first beer. It fizzed up pretty good and now I seemed to have awoken it. Getting an airbubble every couple of seconds for the past hour now.

I was wondering if this was a good or bad idea? I know airbubbles don't necessarily mean fermenting, but it has to be a good thing that it is alive again? I am not in a hurry, I wan't to do the right thing. I was thinking to leave it for a couple days and see what happens, maybe add a bit more nutrient if it stalls again?

Another concern is bottle conditioning, I don't want to have tired out yeast and end up with poor carbonation. Seems like nutrient can only help...but is there any ill effects of using this late in the game?

Thanks,
Granty :mug:

Fresh LME and milled grains can expire. I assume yours was canned? If so, your yeast probably has the shorter shelf life of the kit. Downside might be less viable yeast.

Have you taken a gravity reading since the yeast nutrient? What was your OG and what did the recipe claim it should be?

Have you looked into not using secondary? A lot of us do long primary fermentation instead. Read up on it here

Pilsner beer, lager yeast, - 68F ?

most lager yeasts are fermented around 45-50F taken from here

steam beers are made from lager yeasts at ale temps - which is essentially what you made -

by the way - welcome to HBT!

bottle conditioning - you will have plenty of yeast in solution for that - unless you let it sit 6 months...no worries.

Supposedly it's an Australian Lager Yeast, but it works at the low end of the Ale yeast range. The company claims it's a bottom fermenting yeast the mimics the flavor profile of a lager as well.

I'd be curious to see how it performs compared to some other lager yeasts.

And keep in mind that although most lager yeasts are bottom fermenting, and ferment best cooler, neither of those characteristics is what actually define a yeast as Lager.

Thanks for the helpful info!

Yeah I didn't realize it was a lager when I bought it, or at least didn't know the significance of ale vs lager. The instructions actually said to keep a temp of 25 degrees! I figured 20 would be fine...(the range on the yeast packet is 15-30 degrees and my cold room is at 12 degrees. Also the instructions didn't mention what the OG should be.

I know now to pretty much ignore the instructions. You would think they would give instructions that result in the best quality, not just pumping out the fastest quantity....or at least present both options.

Still seems to me that the fermentation was stalled due to the same SG reading for the last 4 days. I am still curious about the effects of yeast nutrients at this point? It is still bubbling away again. I am going to take an SG in the morning, I guess that will tell me part of the story.

Matt :)

Granty.... when the fermentation is pretty much done, put the beer in your cold room for as long as you can, preferably while the temp is between 10 - 16. That will help your lager develop some nice flavours.

Back