winter brew fermentation fear please help???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIXBREW

Reaction score
Today I brewed a clone recipe on the sam adams winter lager. I dont have a lagering fridge so the homebrew shop recommended a wyeast strain 2124 bohemian lager that could ferment up to 68 degrees in my basement. I expect the temp in the basement to be 60-62 degrees. My concern now is that on the wyeast package i noticed it said it works up to 1.060OG and my beer is at 1.070OG. I have pitched the yeast and used a yeast nutrient the last ten minutes of the boil. What will happen now?? Will it still ferment despite the high OG?? thanks for any advice/opinions.

Well lagers like cooler temperatures, watch the airlock and make sure the yeasties aren't sleeping. It'll ferment slower in cooler conditions, but if you're really afraid of that (or stalling fermentation), get yourself an early christmas present and buy a brew belt (heater). Pretty cheap, around 20bux.

You should ALWAYS, make a starter with liquid yeast. Even if your OG is below 1.060 you will get your yeast ready and active and have a better/healthier fermentation.

Other than that, your beer should take off just fine if you aerated well. Just give it a little time.

checked it last night and it is feverishly bubbling away in the basement so i am hoping it will be ok. I just got a yeast starter kit and will be using it from now on on all batches...thanks......

Back