Canned Pre Hopped MAlt extract looked weird

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
I just mixed up a muntons 'Belgian Ale' kit. When I opened the can though there was like a white foamy creamy part on the extract - I didn't see anything like this before? Did I just make a brew that is going to poison me - or is it maybe something that was just a little foamy before they canned it or something??

I will toss it if its dangerous decided to pitch some yeast and see what happens - any advice would be appreciated :)

From what I've read nothing can go wrong with your beer that would make it "poisonous". It might taste terrible, but nothing harmful. Just keep your fingers crossed and hope the beer comes out drinkable, but don't worry.

Ok was just hoping it wasn't mold or something that would make me really sick - just fermenting now so hopefully everything will be fine - never heard of mod on canned extract so should be ok i guess.. well i hope lol

I have had that in a scattered can when I was doing K&K brews. I think it is just old extract, but couldn't say for sure.
My brews didn't turn out any different when using it, but then again, I didn't like those kits much anyway.

How old is the kit? the age could be an issue especially if the storage conditions are not right.

Nothing in awful beer would kill you but dumping 4-5 gallons of hand brewed beer might just do it.

The expiration date said Feb 2011 I believe - so it shouldnt have been too old - well as long as it doesnt make me sick ill give er a try - is fermenting now - doesnt smell too bad - guess the true test will be in the taste

LME doesn't keep as well as DME. I always use LME within 6 mths after their manufacturing date because they tend to darken with age and develop some sort of difficult to describe funny kit taste. Never had those with DME before.

I am sure the beer would not be toxic but whether it is up to your standard is another issue.

Back