Air leaks from keg below 10 psi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXhophead

Reaction score
This is my first time kegging so I hope i'm doing it right. I followed the directions and put the keg below 40deg @ 30psi and rocked it for 2 minutes. Then i let it sit for an hour and a half and tryed to see if the carbonation took. Well I was letting the pressure out through the release valve to get it to the recomended 5psi but when it goes below 10psi the seal on the keg lid starts letting out air and breaking the seal. What do i do.

Apparently this is pretty common. I have had success with sealing at 30psi and then dropping and keeping a seal, but I wanted to seal at 0psi or 5psi, so I can ferment in the corny, so I bought some silicon o-rings that are supposedly thicker/softer. Check out this thread for the McMaster parts if you are interested: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/using-corny-fermenter-sealing-issues-104336/index2.html#post1151679

I am going to try them out soon, so I will let you know how it works.

The other suggestion I heard was to get some "keg lube" but I haven't tried that.

It seems to be ok down to 10psi which makes the beer come out a little fast but beter than nothing. It sucks I can't use my hand pump now and I have to lug the CO2 with me to a party tonight. I was planning on getting those bigger mcmaster O rings from the above post. Any thoughts?

McMaster-Carr

My first time kegging, a few months ago, I found that the lube helps to seal the keg. Also, the longer beer out hose allows you to carb to the right level and not worry about foam. I found myself trying to reduce CO2 pressure to get a good pour. Just lets the CO2 reduce for a good pour. Doesn't make for the right carb level for the beer.

Back