Flanders Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen anybody post about having done one of these.

90% Belgian Pils
10% Flaked Wheat
OG 1.057

Rodenbach mash schedule:

Mash 145*F 40
Mash 162*F 30
Mashout 169*F 15
Sparge with 176*F water

Boil 90 minutes. Bittering with one charge of Goldings for ~25 IBU.

Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Blend.

I bought 6 gallon Winpak HDPE barrels to use as fermenters for the Flanders beers (the ones The Pol has been using for his no-chill method). I think these are ideal because they are HDPE which is fairly oxygen permeable, yet they are better sealed than buckets for extended aging. The O2 will speed up the Brett in secondary fermentation and provide some acetic souring. My garage is HOT this time of year, >80*F on average, perfect for lactic bacteria.

Per Jeff Sparrow's recommendations in Wild Brews I plan a one week primary at 68*F followed by a two month secondary fermentation in the garage (or until the beer reaches a balanced level of acetic sourness). I'll then keg and age until it is ready to serve (how long, I won't know, so I will sample periodically).

Quick question about the mash schedule...

Why?

Brewing classic styles just does single infusion mashes. Halfway through wild brews, but I don't care if you spoil the ending for me :).

I just ordered some ingredients for a flanders brown, going to be trying something like this in the near future, so I am just curious.

Halfway through wild brews, but I don't care if you spoil the ending for me :).

I just ordered some ingredients for a flanders brown, going to be trying something like this in the near future, so I am just curious.

Page 143.. Rodenbach uses this mash schedule. So I figure I might as well go with their method for my Flanders beers. :mug: In the recipes section he recommends this mash schedule for all the Flanders including the brown.

Latest posts

Back