High FG with West Coast Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danabob2

Reaction score
Hi All-

Although I am relatively new to this hobby (5 or 6 batches so far) I am definitely new to this forum, so bear with me....

As I said I have brewed 5 or so batches in the last few months, most of which were pretty phenomenal (except the first which is to be expected!). All of them had on OG of 1.051-1.046 and a FG of 1.012-1.006. My latest batch though was the West Coast Amber Extract Kit from Hoptech. It had an OG of 1.048 (normal) when I brewed it 2 weeks ago. I took a sample gravity reading yesterday to find that the specific gravity was 1.020! Although this seemed a bit high it did taste pretty good. I havent seen it percolating in a week. Is this an acceptable FG? Did I get a stuck fermentation? Should I stir it up and wait another week before bottling?
On a note, Dan at Hoptech said that when measuring the extract he got a phone call and got distracted so I actually ended up with 7 pounds of extract instead of the typical 6 pounds. But I offset this by topping up the batch to about 6 gallons at the end instead of 5. I used the Wyeast liquid yeast which say they are for a 5 gallon batch. Do they not have enough gusto for a 6 gallon batch? Let me know any of your thoughts....

Well, since I recieved such an overwhelming response from such a wide panel of "experts", who would rather chat about their broken down midlife crisis of a dream of "owning their own bar & grill" rather than putting in the droning 9-5 that has become thier mundane life or how to precisely pronounce a meaningless word, I have decided that this juvenile forum is not worth my time or effort.

On a side note, I took it upon myself to stir up the beer, having recieved NO advice, and thinking I had gotten a stuck fermentation. I waited 4 days and retested and still had a specific gravity of 1.020.

Good night and good luck with your beer bellied, visions of grandeur lives.

i apologize on behalf of everyone that we didn't immediately drop everything to help you.
maybe you should have been more obnoxious in your first post like you were in your second...that's mighty mature of you.

angry guy said:
Good night and good luck with your beer bellied, visions of grandeur lives.

FWIW, grandeur is a noun... you can't use it to modify another noun. that's what adjectives are for. "visions of grandeur" would've sufficed for your sardonic comment...

No insults here please. I know how you are feeling since this, no response, has happened to me to and got me frustrated. Just post a friendly reminder where you can note what you have found out so far and what you did ;).
And for many of us regulars there is just not enough to brewing related stuff to talk about. And a post can easily be overlooked.

I think that for your problem a stuck fermentation is unlikely. An OG of 1.048 is very easy on the yeast. Especially ale yeast won't have a problem.

Maybe you just got a batch of extract that was mashed to hot. These things can happen.

Kai

Back