Bargain hunting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I've been trying to fill all my available kegs and secondaries and have been wildly successful at it. So much so that I have to kick a couple of 1/4 filled kegs before I can rack last weekend's brew out of pails into glass. The problem is that I overestimated my conditioning capacity and underestimated my desire to brew more. Last week I bought enough grains for yet another brew and can't brew it until I kill those two 1/4 kegs AND two full ones.

So I was in the big city today and had to kill an half hour so I bought a Buy and Sell magazine to search for containers. There wasn't much and the first number I called had already sold his four carboys for $10 each. I called another number that had four carboys for sale and the price was $15 obo. It didn't actually say $15 each. Sure enough, it wasn't $15 for all four. They messed up the ad. He wanted $20 for all four.

I didn't negotiate the obo, I just gave the guy $20. As I was leaving he asked if I wanted a primary fermentor for $5. It's a thick, heavy plastic 40 litre container with a well fitting lid that just sits on the top without locking down. I doubt it will seal, and it's too small for my ten gallon batches, but I picked it up anyway. I'm thinking that it might be good for big beers with big krausen.

So I'm happy that not only can I brew up the grains that are already crushed, but I can do yet one more before I have to settle down.

Life is good. :ban:

It's funny but I can pick up new 50L poly carboys for the same price as new 23L glass ones.

I brew 40L batches so .... I just use those now and primary then filter.

Man I wish we had the 60L kegs they tend have in the states. 50L keggles are fine for HLT and MLT but a 60L would be nice for a Boil Kettle. Then I could make 50L batches.

Right now I'm surching for cheap 10 gallon corny kegs for primary and serving. Hard to find those now a days.

Bytor1100 said:
gotta love finding good deals, I definately need more carboys!!
Short rant:

It's this point that one wonders why you didn't fill in your danged location...if anyone here knew in which general geographic area of the globe your location is they may be able to offer you some if they had some go sell...:mad: :D ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
Short rant:

It's this point that one wonders why you didn't fill in your danged location...if anyone here knew in which general geographic area of the globe your location is they may be able to offer you some if they had some go sell...:mad: :D ;)

Or more to the point...
Help you empty the kegs! :mug:

wild said:
Or more to the point...
Help you empty the kegs! :mug:
I thought he wanted more carboys???:D :D

EDIT: Yep, he wants more carboys...if he lived anywhere near me I would sell him a couple...(that was my point...not knowing where he lives...I know I can't help someone living in Tibet...)

Latest posts

Back