First weizein - any risk of my BIAB getting a "stuck sparge"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastoftherivernile

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm preparing to make my first weizen and I've seen a lot of discussion about stuck sparges with this style. Is there any risk of this happening when using BIAB? Should I be seeking out rice hulls or similar?

Thanks in advance,

E

Agreed, not an issue, but it will probably run a little slower. You might have to be a little more careful when you raise it out of the pot to drain. Wheat, oats, and other gummy grains restrict the flow a little, but it keeps going. Expect about twice the usual lattering time.

There is no sparging or lautering in a typical BIAB process.

A stuck sparge in a traditional brewing process is when the solids (grain/hops, etc.) clog the valve so you can't separate the wort from the grain.

In BIAB, the bag separates the majority of the wort from the grain from the start, and you squeeze the rest of the absorbed wort out of the grain. Unless you are doing something wrong, the grain would never have the oppertunity to clog up the kettle's output valve, so you can't get that flow "stuck."

I do a ton of BIAB weizens (Hefe's)...let me know if you have any specific questions on your recipe or process!

Back