Control Panel Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdugre

Reaction score
I've been working on a control panel, and thought I'd post some photos of the build. This is for an electric HLT and heat exchanger. There should be enough room in the box if I ever decide to convert my BK to electric.

Here is the box I'm using. It's an old recloser control I scored from work.
DSCN3662.jpg

And here is the pile of crap I pulled out of it:
DSCN3663.jpg

Cutting holes. Conduit punches are fun.
DSCN3665.jpg

DSCN3667.jpg

DSCN3668.jpg

Primed
DSCN3670.jpg

And painted
DSCN3672.jpg

Components mounted
DSCN3673.jpg

DSCN3674.jpg

DSCN3675.jpg

DSCN3676.jpg

Now its time to start wiring.

Looks great. I think you might have enough room for a guest bedroom in that box.

What is the round thing on the side of the box?

Are you going to mount it on a wall?

that is an awesome box and and awsome build! Can you tell us everything you are putting in there and where you got it? I would love to do the same thing!

Thanks for the complements

What is the round thing on the side of the box?

Its a gong for alarm annunciation and letting me know when the timer times out. The thing is LOUD. I wanted to be able to hear it from inside the house.

Are you going to mount it on a wall?

I'm planning a two tiered setup, so the panel will be mounted below the HLT and probably bolted directly to the brew stand frame. Haven't worked out the details of that yet.

Can you tell us everything you are putting in there and where you got it?

I was fortunate enough to get most of the stuff (gong, fuse blocks, indicating lamps, e-stop button, aux relays, terminal blocks) from the scrap heap at work. Things I bought myself include:

30A contactors from http://www.guardiancatalog.com/
2 x SYL-2353 PIDs from Auber
Sestos timer from ebay
SSR & heat sinks from ebay
30A outlets, 50A range cord (for panel feed), 30A dryer cords (for heater outputs), 50A GFCI spa panel from Home Depot
Switches from digikey

So its been a while, but I've finally made some progress. I installed a spa panel w/ 50A breaker.

DSCN3765.jpg

I surface mounted an outlet directly on the panel. This is to be the source for the control panel.

DSCN3763.jpg

Here is a shot of the wiring:

DSCN3764.jpg

Here is the panel energized for the first time:

DSCN3766.jpg

This is a shot of me testing. The cannon connectors on the bottom right will go to the heat exchanger and HLT, and contain the RTD wiring, float switch cutout, and stirrer wiring. The outlet is for the pump. The hole is for a future connection to a grant float switch, once I can snag a connector from work.

DSCN3767.jpg

Wiring shots:

DSCN3768.jpg

DSCN3769.jpg

Here I've got the RTD rigged up for testing. I haphazardly dropped the metal wire jacket into an energized lug and properly tested the GFCI. Barely felt a tingle!

DSCN3770.jpg

Here is the cord end of the cannon connectors. These things are sweet.
DSCN3771.jpg

Next up is building the HLT and HEX. Stay tuned.

Getting ready to finish wiring-up my 50A GFIC spa disconnect. Really like how you surface mounted the 50A receptacle on the side of the enclosure. Slick!

Back