restart fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdom

Reaction score
Here's my dilemma:
I brewed a darkish lager in early December and it spent about 7-10 days in primary then transferred to a carboy for secondary once it had reached 1.011 (OG was 1.076). It was extremely cloudy and wouldn't clear, even after over 2 weeks in secondary, so i put it in a cool place in my basement (around 13-15C) and managed to forget about it completely. I flushed all of the air out of it by adding a small amount of sugar (with an airlock) to create a CO2 atmosphere. I discovered it about a week ago... so it sat for 6 months. What i left as a cloudy mess was now a crystal clear amber colour. The airlock was still at a positive pressure and had not dried up. After trying some, half expecting it to taste terrible, i was thoroughly impressed. It was delicious and probably the best batch I've ever made, including the first batch I've managed to brew that doesn't have that "homebrew" taste to it. So, all bottled nicely last night with the correct amount of priming sugar per bottle, and this morning nothing has restarted, not even the bottle with the kills (from the bottom of the secondary, which is slightly cloudy). How do i go about carbonating this? HELP!

thanks,
Dom

first the bottles have to be in the mid 70's to carbonate. second one day is not enough time for anything to happen. let them sit 3 weeks then check them. if they are not carbonated enough then come back and well see what we can do.

thanks, i suppose i didn't really think it through, i just panicked when didn't see any bubbling. I've never had one this clear though, and i suppose it would take a while for the yeast to multiply before i'd notice any notable CO2. The bottles are currently around 77-80F.

Back