stick on thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I want to brew some this week but it is too warm.. I am gonna do the water bath for the buckets and want to know if the aquarium stick on thermometers are OK to use? I am afraid a tub full of water with an ice pack wil get too cold?

You may want to check the range of that. The ones "designed" for fermentation have a "Lager" and an "Ale" range. I forget what it is off hand, but I know it dips down pretty low and goes up pretty high. If it went down to 32 and up to 80, I guess that would work... :) If you plan on doing Lagers...

They can work, as previously mentioned, if they are within the right range. They other thing you can do if you are doing a water bath is put your thermometer in the water bath water. The temperature of the water will be very close to the temperature within the fermentor after a number of hours of course.

I tried using an aquarium stick on thermometer from Petco but found the temp range to be too limited. Funny thing is that a fermometer will cost you less than that aquarium therm strip from Petsmart and has a temp range for lagers and ales.

Back