Cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I couldn't find what I was looking for with the search.

Do I need to ramp down to the 30 degree range or can I just put the fermenter in the fridge and forget about it?

I put it in the fridge (which is at ~35) for 24 full hours, then carefully rack it to the keg (or bottling bucket, whatever is appropriate). I also find it helps to simply leave the fermenter in the fridge when racking, so that I don't stir up the trub by sloshing it around. Rack right in front of the fridge, with the door open, if you can.

I agree, anything under 40 degrees should do the trick for an ale. Yeah, crash cooling and then stirring up the sediment when moving it kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks for the help, but I'm still wondering if I need to ramp down the temp control a few degrees everyday until I reach 30 ish. Or can I just drop it straight to 35F?

Just go straight to 35. That's why it's called a "crash" cool. Just don't freeze it.

You won't freeze it due to the sugar and alcohol concentrations.

What I do is I rack from the fermentor to a keg, and then cold condition in a keg. Then after a week in the fridge I use a keg jumper to push to another keg for carbonation.

Latest posts

Back